Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refit a door handle?

Banga1973
Finding My Feet

How to refit a door handle?

I have replaced my exterior door which was 40mm thick with a door that is 35mm thick. Can I fit the door handle from the old door onto the new door?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Refittinga door handle

Hi @Banga1973,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Simply put, yes you can, but there are two things that will need to be checked.

The spindle, may need to be changed, depending on the tolerance of the original one. If it does not work, you can likely use a Gainsborough 32 - 42mm Door Standard Spindle Kit.

The second thing that will likely need to be changed is the length of the through bolts. There are usually two bolts that connect one side of the tap handle to the other side of the tap handle. When installed, it is usually necessary for these bolts to be cut down to work with the thickness of the specific door they are being installed in. This can be done with a set of Wiha 200mm Carpenters End Cutting Nippers.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob

Do you mean I may need to get a shorter spindle?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Banga1973,

Yes, that's correct.

If it is too long, they can be cut down with an angle grinder, but it is often easier to just get a new one.

Check first, because the difference in thickness of the doors is not much. It is certainly possible that it will work with the new door.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects