Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refinish beeswax coated outdoor furniture?

liambeer
Community Newcomer

How to refinish beeswax coated outdoor furniture?

Hi all,

I have some outdoor timber furniture which i bought second hand in 2017. I believe it had a stain applied, then coated in beeswax. I have reapplied the wax about twice a year since, when done it’s comes up really good but I wonder if it now needs something more done to protect it. See pics attached where it’s at its worst. 

should I sand, restain, then wax? Or just sand and wax? Or not sand at all?

thanks for your help

IMG_2359.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg

IMG_2361.jpeg

IMG_2362.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to refinish beeswax coated outdoor furniture?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @liambeer. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring outdoor furniture.

When it comes to refinishing your beeswax-coated outdoor furniture, sanding is indeed an important step. Over time, the wood can develop stains, discolouration, and a greyed appearance due to exposure to the elements. Sanding will not only remove these imperfections but also help to revitalise the timber, providing a fresh surface for further treatment.

After sanding, you have a couple of options for finishing. While applying another layer of beeswax can enhance the appearance and provide some level of protection, you might want to consider using a furniture oil instead. Oils penetrate deeper into the wood, offering superior protection against moisture and UV damage compared to beeswax. They can also help to maintain the natural beauty of the timber and enhance its durability for outdoor conditions.

If you decide to sand, aim for a medium-grit sandpaper to start, followed by a finer grit to smooth the surface. Once you've achieved the desired finish, you can apply the furniture oil according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This will help to safeguard your furniture and keep it looking great for years to come.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

thanks for your reply. I test sanded a small part and the applied some wax I had from previous and it was still a little furry and inconsistent. I also pressure washed off the table, not super close to damage the timber. It came up like images below. The first is all the table and the second where I applied some more wax, none of the table top was sanded. I think the wife will kill me when she sees it.

how can I fix? 

IMG_2364.jpeg

IMG_2365.jpeg

 edit. Sorry I should have said I used timber cleaner in the pressure washer

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The grey timber that you've exposed indicates that it is deteriorating @liambeer. By applying beeswax you've probably been disguising the issue. You really need to sand the whole thing back, through the greyed timber, to reveal the new timber beneath. You can then re-apply your coatings.

By blasting the coatings off, you've embarked on a full restoration. I'd spend an hour sanding the top with 180 and then 240-grit sand paper. It's will come up mint once you're done.

Mitchell

Ok thanks. 

when you say reapply the coatings, I know you said oil is best but the wife likes the wax we have had. Will I need to stain then wax? So as the colour is consistent?

IMG_2366.jpeg

 this is what it looks like under the cushions where not exposed

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks like hardwood, possibly Merbau, with just a wax on it @liambeer. Once you've sanded the top, you can apply just the wax to an inconspicuous area to see if that's all it needs. You might have to resort to a stain if it doesn't look right.

Mitchell

Thanks again for your help. 

the timber is kwila. I assume that doesn’t change the advice? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects