Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare gutters for repainting?

Wayne3
Just Starting Out

How to prepare gutters for repainting?

Looking for best way to prep galvanised gutters which have paint peeling. Do I remove all the paint with mechanical wite wheel and sanders? Or do I rub as much as I can with 180 wet and dry to save work? Then prime with galv primer then 2 coats of weather shield. Main concerns are,  if I don’t take all the paint off you will see it under the paint or the primer lifting the paint that is left on? 

IMG_8592.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Preparation of Gutters

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Wayne3. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring gutters.

It's important to remove all compromised paint from the gutter to avoid future peeling or delamination. If any old paint that's already peeling or weakened is left behind, the new primer and paint will struggle to adhere properly, leading to further issues down the track. Using a mechanical wire wheel or sander is effective for this, but the amount of work required will depend on how much paint is already peeling and the overall condition of the gutter. If you're only dealing with minor flaking, rubbing down with 180 wet and dry sandpaper may save some effort, but only if you ensure the remaining paint is still firmly adhered.

Once you’ve removed the compromised paint, applying a proper galvanised primer is key. This will promote strong adhesion and protect the metal. Two coats of weather-resistant paint like Dulux Weathershield will give long-lasting protection against the elements.

As for your concern about seeing leftover paint under the new finish or the primer lifting it, it's true that any loose or flaky paint could create an uneven surface and eventually cause the new layers to fail. That's why it's always best to remove as much of the old paint as possible, even if it means more prep work. In some cases, replacing the gutter entirely might be more cost-effective and less time-consuming, especially considering the cost of a six-metre length of new guttering is around $50. If the gutters are old and extensively damaged, a fresh installation could save you from future maintenance headaches.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitch.

Looks like Bunnings doesn’t sell 180 wet and dry? Lowest is 400.

Regards

Wayne

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wayne3,

I've been unable to find 180-grit wet and dry sandpaper, but the Rocket Wet And Dry Sanding Sheets contain both 120-grit and 240-grit wet and dry sandpaper.

If used gently, the 120-grit will be perfect and the 240-grit would also be fine but may take a bit of extra elbow grease.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects