Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to pave entryway path on a slope?

BeauLancaster
Just Starting Out

How to pave entryway path on a slope?

Hi All, hope for some help on how to build the roadbase foundation.

Looking to pave the entryway of the house. It slopes up from the house and down left to right. I have dug some of the trench out. Down 160mm on the right and for a level surface I've needed to go down around 250mm on the left.

Question is can I build the road base up on the left so the pavers continue the contour of the earth or how do I deal with that as I lay the roadbase and sand foundation?

I can't increase the right hand side height with retaining there is power connection that runs down that side for three phase (green box)

Any help would be appreciated

1000006495.jpg

1000006494.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to pave entryway path on a slope?

Hi @BeauLancaster,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

When you're working off-level, things can get a bit tricky, but the main thing is to follow a consistent flat plane. When you are working with things that are level and plumb, you already have a reference to work off of. As we are working off-level, we'll have to make our own points of reference that are off-level.

My suggestion is to essentially build formwork like you would if it were a concrete path. Run a taut string line on each side of the path and set edging pine into the earth with the top of the board a paver's thickness below your finished pathway height. 

Set the edging pine in place by driving star pickets into the earth on the outside of the path ensuring they go below the top of the edging pine then screwing the edging pine to them.

What this will create is a form that you can run a straight edge or spirit level between which will create a flat plane that is relative to the height you want on each side of the path.

Fill the space between the boards with your drainage gravel and tamp to compact. Apply your sand over the top and use the form as a guide to screed off of.

Once you are happy with your heights, remove the edging pine and fill the void left behind using the centre of your path as a reference to work off of.

You can then lay your pavers on top.

Check out How To Pave a Pathway for some guidance.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Hi, thankyou very much for the reply. So if I understand you correctly I'm kind of creating a railway track from the edging pines that I use as a measure of height then I can pave over the top of that compacted sub base? 

In that instance does that mean to effectively lock the pavers in the side that is the lower side of the slope will need additional paving restraint to ensure it doesn't slip over time from additional pressure? 

I drew over the photo I took.. I think what your saying is run edging on the red line.. and use a screed over it to keep the angle the consistent (blue line)?  

1000006495.jpg

Hi @BeauLancaster,

Your railway track analogy is a perfect way to describe it. Yes, the edging pines set your height on each side of the path and then running your straight edge on top of them will create a flat plane between them.

It would certainly help to keep the pavers in place if you added some restraint on the lower side and even the high side if you'd like. You could add some of these Tuscan Path 1m Landscape Edging which can be used in conjunction with Tuscan Path 230mm Grey Nylon Pegs to lock everything in place, or you could simply leave the edging pine in place and backfill around them.

Yes, your drawing is a great illustration of what I mean.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects