Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint plastic furniture?

Eddy3
Just Starting Out

How to paint plastic furniture?

Hi, I have some plastic furniture that needs painting. I will need to apply plastic primer first and my question is what primer to use.

The plastic material is high density polyethylene material.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint plastic furniture?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Eddy3. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about priming plastic.

Your best bet would be Dulux 325g Duramax Plastic Primer Spray Paint as it's designed for plastic outdoor furniture. However, paints have great difficulty adhering to plastics like polyethylene, so I'd recommend you do a test with the primer to ensure it can bind adequately. Apply the primer as instructed on the can in an inconspicuous location. Allow it to cure for 24 hours, and then apply to mark tape over it. Press the tape down firmly and wait 5 minutes. Then, rip the tape back off. If the paint remains without being pulled off, it's a good indication that a sufficient bond has been achieved, and you can continue with your project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects