Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint both internal and external mortar between bricks?

renato
Just Starting Out

How to paint both internal and external mortar between bricks?

Hi community,

Can you please provide guidance on how to paint both internal and external mortar between bricks in white? Also, please clarify what is the paint and other tools needed as well as any preparation and general tips for a successful one. 

Thanks!

Renato

brick_wall.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint both internal and external mortar between bricks?

Hi @renato,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It is certainly possible, but I'm not 100% certain the best product for painting your mortar indoors as we usually advise using a self-priming external paint such as Dulux Weathershield.

Please allow me to get in touch with our suppliers when they reopen tomorrow for their recommendations.

In terms of prep work, I'd advise giving the entire wall a brush down with a scrubbing brush to remove any loose materials that would affect adhesion. 

I'll have to confirm with our suppliers whether you'll require a primer in conjunction with their advised coating. 

Depending on the width of the mortar lines, you could then use a UNi-PRO 18mm Easy Cutter Paint Brush to apply your paint.

As I've said, please allow me to reach out to our suppliers for their advice when they reopen tomorrow, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Jacob

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @renato,

Dulux Wash and Wear is suitable for internal masonry surfaces. However, you'll first need to apply a coat of Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer, & Undercoat.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell,

So just to clarify, as I have this wall both internal and external, can I use both Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer, & Undercoat to prepare and Dulux Wash and Wear to paint on both internal and external walls?

thanks,

Renato

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can use the 1Step primer for internal and external @renato. However, we'll be using Dulux Weathershield for the external, which doesn't require a primer. Wash and Wear is only an internal paint.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects