Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make concrete footings for deck?

rick6947
Getting Established

How to make concrete footings for deck?

Looking at doing concrete footings for the deck I am building being looking online and having issues trying to find, what concrete footing tubes I get that the concrete goes into to make the footings any advice would be fantastic? Alternatively do I just dig the hole with wood framing on outside to make the footings? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make concrete footings for deck?

Hello @rick6947

You actually have a few choices when it comes to deck footing. There is the Cope Industries 100 x 100cm x 1m Concrete Building Stump, the Uni-Pier 75 x 75 x 1200mm Post With Adjustable Screw Top Head and the standard H4 treated timber post. I'm so sorry but the cardboard footing tube is currently not stocked at the store. 

There are quite a few things to consider when planning the materials for your deck. Proper water drainage, air circulation and extra stump pre-treatment are some of the things you'll need to take into account when you start planning your deck frame. If you assemble your footings with those three things in mind your deck stumps should provide you with a long service life.

It sounds like a fantastic project. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the proposed decking area? How big and how tall will your deck be? I'm sure our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information to your build.

Please note to always check with your local council on the rules and regulations when building a deck on your property. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects