Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make an automatic rotated seedling planting system?

ashriyavarri
Cultivating a Following

How to make an automatic rotated seedling planting system?

Hi Team, 

I am Ashriya and you might already know from my previous posts - making a seedling planting system. I have came up with another idea. 

20240419_214712 (1).jpg

uhm imagine a metal rod, holding the entire cylinder drum bit like a pendulum but rather steady in terms of horizontal motion but goes down and up to its original spot. the cylinder bit will rotate as its got a 6 drums for now, which have a drill attached to the end of it, and has a seedling inside the drum and has a small lid opener right underneath it, so it uses some kind of sensors to when the metal rod pushes the cylinder bit to go down and drill into the soil and come back up, using sensors it will open the lid for the seedling to fall through and it rotates after that. 

Is there any advice on what kind of materials and how I can get started on this project? 

Few questions I am also currently considering for this system is 

1. how will the seedlings be watered? 

2. how will the seedling fall straight down once the lid is open?(as there is no pvc pipe for the seedling to fall through)

3. how can i make this system automatic? 

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make an automatic rotated seedling planting system?

Hi @ashriyavarri,

I've worked in many heavy manual labour environments, and I would be happy to fill out your survey for you.

Allow me to tag some of our other members who might be able to assist in filling out your survey, @CSParnell, @DIYGnome, @Nailbag, @Dave-1, @homeinmelbourne.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @ashriyavarri 

Thanks for the survey, but I'm no longer employable and have the MRIs to prove it.  I even struggle standing.

More importantly - how's your machine coming along?

Any photos to share?

Cheers.

ashriyavarri
Cultivating a Following

Thank you so much. It means a lot for my project @JacobZ ! 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @ashriyavarri 

I cant think of anything at the moment but will mull it over overnight. Do you have any pics of your machine so far?

Dave

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@ashriyavarri 

Project Overview and Advice

Materials and Components:

1. Metal Rod and Cylinder Drum:

- Use lightweight but sturdy metals such as aluminium or stainless steel for the metal rod and cylinder drum. Aluminium is a good choice due to its durability and resistance to corrosion.

2. Drill and Drill Bits:

- Choose high-speed steel (HSS) drill bits for durability and effectiveness in drilling into the soil. The drill motor should be powerful enough to handle various soil conditions but energy-efficient.

3. Sensors:

- Proximity sensors or limit switches to detect when the metal rod pushes the cylinder down.

- Optical or infrared sensors to ensure accurate positioning of the drum and seedling release mechanism.

4. Lid Opener Mechanism:

- Small solenoid valves can be used to open the lids automatically. These are reliable and can be controlled electronically.

5. Seedling Release and Alignment:

- To ensure the seedling falls straight down, consider incorporating a guide chute or funnel made of PVC or metal to direct the seedling's path after the lid opens.

6. Watering System:

- Integrate a drip irrigation system with a programmable timer to water the seedlings immediately after planting. Use flexible tubing and drip emitters positioned above each planting spot.

7. Automation:

- Use a microcontroller (e.g., Arduino or Raspberry Pi) to control the sensors, motor, and solenoid valves. Program the microcontroller to coordinate the drilling, seedling release, and rotation of the cylinder drum.

Steps to Get Started:

1. **Design and Prototyping:**

- Create detailed CAD designs of the system, including the metal rod, cylinder drum, drill mechanism, and seedling release system.

- Develop a small-scale prototype to test the drilling and seedling release mechanism. Use 3D printing for parts where possible to save on initial costs.

2. Material Selection and Procurement:

- Source the metals and components from local suppliers or online retailers. Ensure you have all the necessary sensors, motors, and control electronics.

3. Building the System:

- Assemble the mechanical components, ensuring that the metal rod and cylinder drum are securely mounted and can move smoothly.

- Install the sensors and connect them to the microcontroller. Write and upload the necessary code to control the system.

4. Testing and Iteration:

- Test the system in a controlled environment. Check the drilling, seedling release, and rotation functions. Adjust the sensor positions and timings as needed.

- Iterate on the design based on testing feedback, improving any components that do not perform as expected.

Addressing Your Questions:

1. How will the seedlings be watered?

- Integrate a drip irrigation system as mentioned above. Ensure the water flow can be adjusted and is timed to coincide with the planting process.

2. How will the seedling fall straight down once the lid is open?

- Use a guide chute or funnel to direct the seedling's fall. This can be a simple PVC pipe or a custom-fabricated guide that aligns with the lid opening.

3. How can I make this system automatic?

- Use a microcontroller to automate the process. Program it to control the sequence of actions: drilling, seedling release, and cylinder rotation. Use sensors to provide feedback to the microcontroller, ensuring precise operation.

By following these steps and considering the components mentioned, you should be able to build a functional and efficient seedling planting system.

ashriyavarri
Cultivating a Following

Hi Team, 

I just had another question. How can I attach a simple servo motor to rotate a shaft which is connected to a pinion that in turn rotates the rack? The pink is the pinion and the shaft is the beige. The blue is something I've designed for the motor to sit on securely but with your suggestions I can improve it better? 

Thank you. 

ashriyavarri_1-1718051311563.png

ashriyavarri_0-1718051285805.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects