Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a timber paling fence look the same on both sides?

sarahwright
Finding My Feet

How to make a timber paling fence look the same on both sides?

Is there a standard way to make the back side of a basic timber paling fence look the same as the front?  For example, is it ok to attach palings to rails on the back side of the fence? The palings would need to be place side by side as close as possible (to match the front side of the fence). I am concerned that with little to no gaps, moisture would be trapped  between the palings and rails and cause rot and mold to develop.  What is standard practice? We are located in SE Qld.   

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber paling fence

Hello @sarahwright 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your timber fence.

From what I recall, if you have a minimum of two rails going across two posts only one side can be used to mount the palings. Since palings are made of timber, they will eventually dry off and shrink so installing them tightly side by side is not issue. However, having palings on both sides will require the fence to be reinforced. If that's the case, I suggest engaging the services of a fence builder who can properly build a heavy-duty fence frame for you.

it's possible for moisture to enter a double-sided fence, but if gaps do appear between the palings, the moisture will eventually evaporate. Technically it would be better to have the palings on one side only.  

If you don't want to see any gaps in your fence line, it's possible to build it with the palings overlapping one another. Even after several seasons and your fence has become dry and shrunk a bit the overlapping design will prevent gaps from appearing.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to make a timber paling fence look the same on both sides?

Evening @sarahwright 

Interesting what @EricL has said about timber both sides of the fence, I had thought there is a reason but never had it confirmed. The rails would be carrying the extra weight plus the posts so Definently it would be wise to talk to an experienced fence builder.

Would it be acceptable to go one panel facing and the next panel facing away? That way the weight would stay the same and the fence could look matching. Or front half one way and rear yard the other?

Dave

Re: Timber paling fence

Thanks Eric

The single sided fence is already built. Putting palings on the other side is an after thought.  So, to your point, we will have to ensure the existing structure can support the extra weight. Thanks for your input.

Hi Dave

The single sided fence is already built so alternating panels is not an option.  If we attach palings to the back, i expect we'd will also have to add capping somehow. My biggest concern is trapped moisture given we are in SE Qld.

Thanks for your feedback.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @sarahwright Standard paling fences have been built in the same basic manner for well over 100yrs, constructed these days of hardwood posts, two rails and treated pine palings. These are nailed fixed widely spaced apart then an overlapping one that covers the gaps. In the past it was all done with hardwoods which is why sections are often left on the nature strip when being replaced for free firewood.

The rails are rebated (cut in to the posts) so one side sits flush with the post. See the photos of a fence I built last year showing this at frame stage. The only reason why palings have and can only go on one side without seeing the posts is simply because the rails can't be made flush to both sides. Refer top few graphic. To maintain the strength integrity of the posts, the depth of the rebate is limited. So, It's just luck of the draw as to which side/s you get, smooth or railings. It's only during construction of a new or replacement you get an opportunity to discuss with your neighbour to swap the facing side around.

As soon as fences are built, the thin palings start to shrink as they dry out as @EricL mentioned. The large gaps and overlapping ones conceal this. It's only when people paint their fences before they have dried out that within a short period of time non-painted lines start to appear and they have to touch each one up.

Treated pine palings are super light, so providing your fence is in excellent condition, I would expect it should be able to handle the weight of treated pine palings on your side. But the palings will need to be fixed to the existing rails between the posts and to further keep the weight to a minimum, position each with a small gap of say 10mm with no overlapping one. It addresses the need for airflow, and will still look good because you can't actually see through the gaps on to the other side. Plus you wan't notice any shrinkage of the palings as they weather.

Having said that, I would definitely follow @EricL and @Dave-1 recommendation in getting the advice of a fence builder to check the condition of the fence to see if requires any additional or replacement reinforcement.

regards, Nailbag

Fence with rebated/checked in postsFence with rebated/checked in postsChecked in postChecked in post

standard paling fence from abovestandard paling fence from above

why you can't have palings both sideswhy you can't have palings both sides

suggested solution for your sidesuggested solution for your side

Hi Nailbag, thanks for that very thorough reply.  If we attach palings to the back of the rails (with 10mm gap as recommended) would we also need a cap to stop leaves etc. from collecting in the top?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects