Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to maintain the colour of Merbau decking?

A1821801
Finding My Feet

How to maintain the colour of Merbau decking?

Hello, I’ve recently moved to a new place. There is a smallish and newish deck made of merbau. When it rains I can see the red colour of the wood which I would like to preserve, rather than let it naturally turn to grey. 

what should I do? 

with thanks B

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to maintain the colour of merbau decking

Hi @A1821801 just follow the steps in this how to article which will have your deck looking fantastic in just a few hours.

Nailbag

Thanks Nailbag. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @A1821801. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preserving a deck.

That sounds like a brand-new deck that hasn't finished leeching tannins. @Nailbag has provided a fantastic guide to follow, but it sounds like you also need to let the deck leech tannins. Before Merbau can be coated, the tannins need to be stripped from the timber, and this can either be done through natural weathering over several weeks, or you can use a chemical product to accelerate this process.

So, you'll scrub the deck down with Cabots New Timber Prep to remove the tannins, then use the Cabots Deck Clean and then Cabots Merbau Decking Oil

Remember your PPE, including safety glasses, chemical-resistant gloves, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. What a great service!! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects