Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garden screening ideas needed

ricm
Building a Reputation

Garden screening ideas needed

Hi,

Whilst I am waiting for new materials to arrive on my main project (decking) I am looking at another area of the garden that needs some attention and any ideas would be most welcome. 

See pictures attached - the current bamboo shades are falling apart and just don't look great. We get tree leaves falling in between which is a pain to clear up during the summer months. 

Any ideas what I could attach up to make it look nice?

IMG_1127.jpgIMG_1128.jpgIMG_1129.jpg

Ric 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Screening Ideas Needed

Hello @ricm 

I propose building rectangular frames made with 42 x 18mm 5.4m Moulding H3 Treated Pine FJ Primed 4 Edge Pencil Round LOSP covered with Coolaroo 1.83m Wide Shell 90% Shade Cloth Per Metre. You can install hinges on the frames and place a timber piece in between to hold it open. The shade cloth will not pose as a hindrance to the falling leaves and allow them to fall naturally. the installation method will be up to you. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Garden screening ideas needed

Afternoon @ricm 

:smile: Shade cloth is my answer as well but I was thinking of a little differeant use.

Two lenths of timber, H3 rated for sure that span the distance between the two rear posts of your gazebo (or even over span them)

Wrapping the shade cloth over the timber and around it, then fastening it to the rear facing beam of the gazebo for the top. 

(This will hide any of the Coolaroo Black Timber Fasteners - 50 Pack - Black type clips against the frame of the gazebo, plus give it excellant holding power)

For the bottom edge I propose doing the fixing and hiding of the clips in the oppisite way. 

(This piece of timber with clips attached at the rear will be fastened to the top rail of your timber screen on the fence.) I would make it fairly taught but not overly so.

To attach the timbers to the metal beam and the timber screen I would use long thin bolts with butterfly nuts installed facing you (That way you can take down the screen easier when the material needs to be replaced) Pinnacle M8 Black Ruspert Wing Nut - 4 Pack and Pinnacle M8 x 80mm Black Ruspert® Round Head Bolts And Nuts - 2 Pack I just used these as examples as you can also buy multipack worth of bolts that may be cheaper. I would fasten a bolt through the timber to the beam or screen around 600-800mm spacing. 

Dave

ricm
Building a Reputation

Sorry but could you do a little sketch of what you mean? Im having trouble visualising the idea. Sounds interesting tho, thank you for responding !

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @ricm 

I will try and do so tomorrow. 

Dave

ricm
Building a Reputation

Re: Screening Ideas Needed

Hi Eric,

Do you mean like turn it into a large window of sorts?

ricm
Building a Reputation

Thank you @Dave-1 , much appreciated as always,

Ric

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @ricm Both @EricL and @Dave-1 have provided great solutions that will delver the protection you need plus still provides air-flow. Asa side profile, this is basically what they are thinking,.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 9.05.45 PM.png

ricm
Building a Reputation

Ahhh!!! I see!!! 

Thank you @Nailbag 

Thank you @Dave-1 @EricL 

I'll try that.

Ric

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @ricm 

Just did the sketch, note the waythe shade cloth is wound around the timber slats. This is to stop fraying and also provide a nice taughtness to the matrerial. The long bolts referenced are the bolts with butterfly nuts, the nuts will be on your side of the fence to help with removing the shade cloth if you wish for servicing or to roll it up an allow more air flow if needed.

01 27-08-2024 Shade privacy screen.jpg

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects