Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay paving on my patio?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to lay paving on my patio?

I have an old concrete slab for my outdoor patio that I want to renovate. The slab is level but cracked in a few places. I was thinking of Travertine but then thought maybe this would look ok https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-300-x-300-x-40mm-sand-mypave-paver_p3451558 with the advantage of easily fixable if I mess up because I can just pop in to Bunnings for more. My questions are:

Do you think it will look ok? I had in mind this colour scheme https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...  (my patio is very old fashioned with round columns everywhere)

What would I use to lay the pavers?

What would I use as edgingpatio.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lay paving on my patio?

Angle grinders are quite intimidating machines, @lakiita. Being weary is important, as most accidents occur when caution is not observed. Remember to have two hands gripping the machine at all times when cutting and wear appropriate PPE, including eye protection, face mask, gloves, and tightly fitting clothing. Also, if you have long hair, it's important to tie it back. Take your time, don't rush the job and let the tool do the cutting work; don't force it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thanks 

yes to all the above

am having trouble figuring out how to see my cut line with the dust (don't worry I have safety glasses and mask)

can I wet the paver????

first line ended up wonky 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can wet the paver @lakiita; just obviously keep running water away from the machine. I'd recommend you start by doing a shallow 5mm deep cut following your marked line. Then, do progressively deeper cuts until you are through the paver. You won't be able to do a full-blade depth cut and keep it straight.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc I am REALLY bad at this - attempt no 2 also wonky

If my third go doesn't work I will have to stop I think as I don't want to waste too many pavers learning

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Don't be disheartened, @lakiita. Perhaps use one paver to try your practice cuts on. It's taken me many years of odd jobs to be able to cut straight lines with an angle grinder. I wouldn't consider it a beginner-friendly tool as there is nothing to govern cutting straight lines; it's all free-hand. I believe I mentioned it earlier in the discussion, but a table-mounted brick saw is exponentially easier to use. You place the paver on the sliding bed and push it through the blade. This keeps the cut perfectly straight.

Mitchell

I don't think I would be able to fit this in my suzuki swift

hence the angle grinder

attempt 4 is kind of ok - am using off cuts atm and I do have quite a few pavers to play with 

it's def NOT a nice tool to use

20231118_092723.jpg

the above was my 'successful' cut. Not sure if it's ok or not so change in plans - have called the hire shop and they say the brick saw will fit in my car so I'm going to hire it for 24 hours - should be able to get all my cuts done in that time and it will be much safer.

Dammit was just watching the 'how to use' video and it says you need 2 ppl to lift it so I'm back to the angle grinder :tear: Wish me luck

I mastered it!!! I went to Bunnings and bought myself a smaller angle grinder. It means cutting from both sides but it's sooooo much more doable AND because it's smaller it doesn't throw as much dust so I can see my line better as I cut. It's a slower way to do it but the result is excellent. So proud of myself for not giving up and finding a work around. I feel like such a hero every time I finish a row 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects