Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay paving on my patio?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to lay paving on my patio?

I have an old concrete slab for my outdoor patio that I want to renovate. The slab is level but cracked in a few places. I was thinking of Travertine but then thought maybe this would look ok https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-300-x-300-x-40mm-sand-mypave-paver_p3451558 with the advantage of easily fixable if I mess up because I can just pop in to Bunnings for more. My questions are:

Do you think it will look ok? I had in mind this colour scheme https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...  (my patio is very old fashioned with round columns everywhere)

What would I use to lay the pavers?

What would I use as edgingpatio.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to lay paving on my patio?

Afternoon @lakiita 

Hey, just a question. I was talking to a mate about paving and using your paving as an example and I moticed that round marking bottom right of your pic?

Is that a drain inspection point? If So it may be an idea to draw a plan of your patio and mark any services you have so you can come back if needed.

Dave

you mean these? no idea what they are they appear to be old pipes cemented in I don't think they're important 20231107_124243.jpg

20231107_124238.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

@lakiita 

I was looking at this, not sure if its just something that has left a mark or a drain inspection point. The other ones you have shown are what you say they are :smile:

Pipe cover maybe2.jpg

Was just wondering what the circled (badly) blue thing is? :smile:

Dave

looked like another cement filled drain its gone now so hopefully nothing important there was no way to open it

i have NOT missed my calling as a landscaper 2 rows a day appears my limit if I don't want an injury or to get slack 

It's an uneven result but for a first job I  think it's OK

20231107_151052.jpg

20231107_151100.jpg

20231107_151107.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lakiita 

From the photos you posted it's looking pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing it complete.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lakiita
Having an Impact

it's actually turning in to a great project for learning with - I feel like I'm really getting  confident with the level screed and trowel still a little crape with the tamper though and I've yet to figure out how to protect my back and not bend over whilst picking up pavers in the middle of the pallet. I  can't believe I'm not even half done my patio is insane!!!

Dave-1
Community Megastar

@lakiita 

:smile: Its looking good! And that means there is much less to do the next days :smile:

Dave

pavers are all down and today is power tool day. My Dad is doing the complicated. cuts but he wants me to try the simple ones and has left me his MONSTER of a circular saw. I'm REALLY nervous about using it and. ld use some moral support. Here's where I'm at atm - all the mess is just coz I'm trying to keep the pavers covered before I seal them.20231117_120224.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Looking good @lakiita. Was your father able to show you how to use the saw and stick around while you got familiar with it? I have concerns with you launching into using a tool that you are not familiar with and I'd recommend you watch plenty of YouTube videos on paver cutting before you do. WHat type of saw is it? Is it a circular saw with a masonry blade or a table-mounted brick saw?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

yeah he gave me a tutorial and I've cut one already without incident20231118_081818.jpg

I'm sure it'll be fine I'm just a Lil clumsy and an ED nurse - sometimes knowing  ALL the things that can go wrong is intimidating 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects