Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay paving on my patio?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to lay paving on my patio?

I have an old concrete slab for my outdoor patio that I want to renovate. The slab is level but cracked in a few places. I was thinking of Travertine but then thought maybe this would look ok https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-300-x-300-x-40mm-sand-mypave-paver_p3451558 with the advantage of easily fixable if I mess up because I can just pop in to Bunnings for more. My questions are:

Do you think it will look ok? I had in mind this colour scheme https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...  (my patio is very old fashioned with round columns everywhere)

What would I use to lay the pavers?

What would I use as edgingpatio.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to lay paving on my patio?

@lakiita 

With the 4 wheel trolley there is so much less to worry about compared to tilting the hand trolley, ballancing the weight ect. The trolley just sits :smile:

The hand trolley may seem to be cheaper but the carts usefulness and weight carrying really outdoes itself.

Also the tray can be tilted back to empty it (very easy to do so) Have a look at my projects (Side path rebuild from recyled pavers about 2/3rds down the first page) and you will see the pride of place it takes :smile: (not associated with Gorilla lol) The best think is I store it parked down the side of the house with the tub part tilted up so if it rains it dosnt fill with water!

Dave

So actually I'm just not super weak that I found it hard?? It was also a really really hot day!!

Thanks for the link - I see what you mean, I didn't realise the cart tilted that really is very useful - I think I'm convinced my only concern is that it can't manoeuvre well compared to a trolley dolly (thinking of future usefulness) 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

@lakiita 

Ahhh but the trolley turns on a dime as the saying goes :smile: The two front wheels turn with the handle giving it a very tight radius to turn. I can turn the trolley in my sidepath no probs. Id suggest wandering into your local Bunnings and having a go at manurvering some. I did :smile: I was originally going for the larger one but when i saw th full size it was a NOPE lol Believe me driving it around the aisle will help you sort out they type you want.

Dave

good advise to try it out in store

ok so I have a Suzuki Swift - can the trolley fit in that to get it home?

Dave-1
Community Megastar

@lakiita 

Just so you know when you scroll down from the item on the webpage there is a bunch of info, the item size and also the packaging size :smile:

W             H           L

570mm    220mm  910mm

for the trolley. 

I usually walk into Bunnings with a tape measure and know the largest dimensions of my boot/door/hatch :smile:

For instance for my car the largest distance between wheelbases on the inside is 970mm, the longest item I can carry that is wide is 2m, if its timber post then 2.7m ish. Couldnt tell you the size of what can go through the doors lol but you get the drift. Grab a tape measure, walk around your car thinking what you can put into it and make up boxes in your head. 

.Dave

first few rows complete it's not perfect but it's a start we completed all the edging today as well and a mini cement pour for a corner that needed it - the besser blocks for my bench are coming in super handy as a way to do this in sections - hoping to finish off these two rows tmrw and maybe another two. It hasn't been as bad as I feared but my Dad was helping and now Im solo which is terrifying. Obsessively levelling each paver with the one beside but I think there's still a tiny bit of variation- hopefully not too noticeable or I'll be starting over!!!20231106_161441.jpg

20231106_161427.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lakiita 

Thank you so much for that update on your paving project. It's a very promising start. I recommend using more builders line as a guide to keep your pavers lined up. Just keep in mind that you always have an opportunity to fix a pavers level as long as you haven't put the next line of pavers in front of it.

We look forward to seeing your next update.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @lakiita :smile:

Now thats a nice way to finish the day seeing you start the paving! Seriously looks good. And if you do happen to lay it wrong then just take the ones that are wrong up and redo :smile: Thats why I love paving, you dont loose the resorces! 

Waiting to see the next batch o photos :smile:

Dave

thanks for the encouragement!!!!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects