Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay paving on my patio?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to lay paving on my patio?

I have an old concrete slab for my outdoor patio that I want to renovate. The slab is level but cracked in a few places. I was thinking of Travertine but then thought maybe this would look ok https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-300-x-300-x-40mm-sand-mypave-paver_p3451558 with the advantage of easily fixable if I mess up because I can just pop in to Bunnings for more. My questions are:

Do you think it will look ok? I had in mind this colour scheme https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...  (my patio is very old fashioned with round columns everywhere)

What would I use to lay the pavers?

What would I use as edgingpatio.jpg

Re: How to lay paving on my patio?

I was super intimidated by my crane delivery when it arrived - sooooo much pavers and it had to be split in to 2 orders the first order was 100 pavers and it took me 2 hours to unload those pavers (so freaking heavy) from my driveway in to the yard and a week to recover lol. Was absolutely DREADING the next order of 200 pavers but the second crane driver was an absolute legend and found a way to get the delivery all in to my yard so I didn't have to take them in myself. 

Without this community cheering me on and my Dad helping me out for the technical bits I can't yet tackle myself I wouldn't be able to do any of this. And it's soooo much fun. I feel like a warrior lol :wink:

Dave-1
Community Megastar

:laugh: @lakiita 

Brilliant! I suppose it just depends on how comfortable the operator of the truck/crane is. Definently know how you feel about the cheering on :smile: It does make a difference on how we percieve a project. I believe we are all capable of doing them, sometimes its just that we are missing the dot to dots from the middle :smile:

Cant wait to see the photos as you work your waythrough the pavers! :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Nice one, @lakiita! When is the big start date? Considering giving it a go this weekend?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I'm really scared about the screeding and my screed is so much bigger than intended but with every tiny thing that I accomplish I get more confidence that maybe I can do the next thing. I love this learning and the help that everyone has given me. I have a very demanding job and focussing on this instead for my annual leave has been so rewarding and I couldn't have done it without everyone's encouragement.

Not sure yet - my Dad is going to cut the pavers for me (def in the too hard basket for me atm) so it's up to him. We are doing the edging on Monday. I have no idea about the screeding (it terrifies me). My Dad is helping me but wants me to learn so is only doing the things that I can't and directing (along with the advice you have all given me). I love it all but it's so scary when it costs so much. If it was cheap it would be less scary and since this is my first big project I don't know how long it will take or what edge to start from - can I do it in a day if I start early? Do I screed and pave in small sections? I don't know...............these pavers are sooooooooooooooooooo heavy (or I'm so weak ...... entirely possible lol)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I would suggest not putting the expectation on yourself to complete the job in a day @lakiita. This would be a minimum two to three-day job at least. Given the weight of the pavers, it would be best to take your time to avoid injury.

Have you got a small moving trolley that you can use to move the pavers around?

Mitchell

I don't but I do think it's a good idea - was thinking of getting one - how do professional landscapers move these heavy things around? Are they just used to it. I'm a nurse so was trying to 'use my core' and 'bend my knees' but it wasn't that practical probs coz my core is not great lol

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

They'd likely have several people on the job and move them together @lakiita. Moving a whole pallet of pavers is really something to avoid if possible. I understand that you had no other choice, though.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @lakiita 

When I have that "dread" feeling over a project I break it down into smaller sections and then smaller ones again (write a list even). They eventually get to a point where its like climbing a ladder, do this part first (first rung) then the next can follow.

With the moving of the pavers how about this guy gorilla carts 115l poly dump cart I call it "The little trolly that could" as seriously it has trundled over uneven surfaces, wet sticky clay with rocks, pavers (oh yeah) even my drop saw in it :smile: Without a problem! 

I get tendinitis in my arm so a wheelbarrow and shifting things became a problem, this little guy just keeps on keeping on!

I cant wit until you start screeding and realise how easy it is. Best bit your "resources" can be reused! Its not like a piece of timber that you chop and its too short. Pavers and sand I love working with as I know down the track they are reusable!

Dave

Oh that cart is great but I thought  maybe something like this??? https://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-250kg-capacity-p-handle-trolley-with-pneumatic-tyres_p0336004 ??? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects