Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay paving on my patio?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to lay paving on my patio?

I have an old concrete slab for my outdoor patio that I want to renovate. The slab is level but cracked in a few places. I was thinking of Travertine but then thought maybe this would look ok https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-300-x-300-x-40mm-sand-mypave-paver_p3451558 with the advantage of easily fixable if I mess up because I can just pop in to Bunnings for more. My questions are:

Do you think it will look ok? I had in mind this colour scheme https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...  (my patio is very old fashioned with round columns everywhere)

What would I use to lay the pavers?

What would I use as edgingpatio.jpg

Re: How to lay paving on my patio?

I'm not sure what bolts I should buy though or what drill I need for them?? Forgot to include that in my delivery 

do I tamp before I screed or after any how to tamp videos I can watch. I  barely know how to tamp my coffee!! Last minute Reno anxiety 😆 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lakiita,

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to drill into brick. It will be the same process for your concrete. I'd recommend using these 6mm Dynabolts. You'll require a hammer drill, and this Ozito 710W Hammer Drill is a great budget-friendly solution. You'll also need an 8mm masonry drill bit for the concrete and an 8mm metal drill bit for the edging.

You would tamp before you screeded the area flat, but remember, we decided that it wasn't entirely necessary. I haven't seen any video guides on tamping, but you can get a general idea and check out my tamping skills in this guide: How to build a deck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thanks!!!!! embarrassing question- what type of drill is this? I think it's the wrong type but I'm not sure 

20231016_112449.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @lakiita 

That dosnt look like a hammer drill 😕 It could be an impact drill but they are not built to drill through concrete/brick.

I dont have a battery hammer drill as I prefer a wired one.

Here is a cheap hammer drill ozito 710w hammer drill That should do must small type jobs you would need to.

You can easily see if a drill is a hammer drill buy checking the top of most drills and there will be a dial with a picture of a drill or a picture of a hammer. 

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lakiita,

That's a perfectly reasonable question to ask.

As @Dave-1 mentioned, that's likely a drill driver for installing screws and drilling holes in timber and metal. Some drill drivers do come with a hammer function, like the Ozito PXC 60NM Hammer Drill Kit, and that could potentially be one. Can you check the left-hand side to see if it has a selection for the hammer function? Post a picture if you need.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

nope no hammer function looks like that's going on the shopping list also LOL 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

@lakiita 

Surprisingly handy drill to have, hammer drills generally have the drill and hammer drill function btw.

Dave

Check out my patio so far - final coat of paint complete - pavers and sand delivered ready to go for the final push!!!

20231103_113713.jpg

3.15 MB of 4.47 MB

20231103_102712.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

:smile: @lakiita 

So much fun! :smile: Cheering from the sidlines!

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects