Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay paving on my patio?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to lay paving on my patio?

I have an old concrete slab for my outdoor patio that I want to renovate. The slab is level but cracked in a few places. I was thinking of Travertine but then thought maybe this would look ok https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-300-x-300-x-40mm-sand-mypave-paver_p3451558 with the advantage of easily fixable if I mess up because I can just pop in to Bunnings for more. My questions are:

Do you think it will look ok? I had in mind this colour scheme https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...  (my patio is very old fashioned with round columns everywhere)

What would I use to lay the pavers?

What would I use as edgingpatio.jpg

Re: How to lay paving on my patio?

I could use the timber from my besser block bench (currently unassembled but ready to go) as barriers to contain the sand as I work through the sections?????

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's entirely a possibility, @lakiita.  However, you might like to do all the screeding back to an area near the backyard. Then, start laying your paving from there back towards the house. Obviously, you'd need a side access on the property to get to the back without walking over the screeding. Working in sections would be fine, especially if the timbers you have are heavy enough to hold back the sand.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

i don't think i can do the whole lot and knave as i have furkids 

20231012_173610.jpg

20231012_173608.jpg

  

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @lakiita 

Depending on how old your kids are you could place down a few stepping stones for them to walk on or even just leave a pathway empty and screed the rest level. If you screeded in smaller sections you may end up with slightly different levels when paving. As @MitchellMc said if you screed then walk on teh pavers you put down it should be fine. Ive just posted a project on my side path and even tho I didnt use sand (I used gravel) I started at the top and worked my way down keeping my pavers level and sloped then I could walk over the pavers I had laid even when I hadnt backfileld them as my weight was distributed across the pavers not just on my footprint. 

You have a nice solid base, once screed you could at worst have a few stepping stones and then as you paving gets close it will be easy to remove the stepping stone, screed and continue.

It will be fun and way easier then you expect :smile:

Dave

Dave-1
Community Megastar

@lakiita 

Another thing, when using that 10L of paint I just used a small takeaway container to scoop out what I needed at a time. I was super paronoid of it going "GLUG" :smile:

Dave

the kids are FURKIDS I don't think they understand stepping stones lol

but the takeaway container thing is GOLD

Dave-1
Community Megastar

@lakiita 

hahahahhah now that is funny! :smile: Yeah somehow they dont really pay a lot of attention to where their feet go :smile:

Good luck! :smile:

Dave

I placed my order!!! I'm so excited apparently it's a crane delivery and curbside only does that mean they'll leave it the road or on the footpath?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It means they'll try and leave it in the most convenient location they can for you @lakiita. Basically, they'll crane it off the side of the truck and place the pallet where they can. If you speak to the driver when they arrive, I'm sure they try their best to place the pallet conveniently. It won't be placed on the road and ideally shouldn't be blocking the footpath. Could they place it in your driveway?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

that's what I was hoping for I have a huge driveway so plenty of space. I will make sure my car is out of it and hope for the best. I  actually can't wait to get started thanks so much for all the help and encouragement I don't think  I wldve had the nerve to try this project without everyone's suggestions and support. Oh and the Bunnings person who helped place the order found this awesome flexible rust  oloured edging which I can bolt to the. cement that is going to be perfect to finish it off!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects