Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay paving on my patio?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to lay paving on my patio?

I have an old concrete slab for my outdoor patio that I want to renovate. The slab is level but cracked in a few places. I was thinking of Travertine but then thought maybe this would look ok https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-300-x-300-x-40mm-sand-mypave-paver_p3451558 with the advantage of easily fixable if I mess up because I can just pop in to Bunnings for more. My questions are:

Do you think it will look ok? I had in mind this colour scheme https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...  (my patio is very old fashioned with round columns everywhere)

What would I use to lay the pavers?

What would I use as edgingpatio.jpg

Re: How to lay paving on my patio?

So the time has finally come for me to put in my Bunnings order - do I need to buy something to make gaps between the pavers like you do with tiles?

Is there a way for me to order my pavers in m2 or do I just need to work out how many pavers per m2 and then order that many pavers - I can't see a way on the bunnings site to do m2 only individual paver. So far I have am getting:

pavers

Bedding sand

Screed

metal to use for screeding

polymeric sand for the joints

edging (when I can figure out what edging to buy)

I want to put sealant over the top but don't know what to use - any ideas?

Have I forgotten anything? My Dad is being a legend and going to cut the tiles for me so I don't need to worry about a tile cutter.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear you are ready to start your project @lakiita.

I recommend you aim for a 5mm gap between pavers, and these spacers will be useful for that. 

Our pavers are typically sold individually. It's an easy equation to determine how many you need per square meter. If you can let me know the paver you will be using, I can work it out for you. The Brighton Masonry 400 x 400 x 40mm Cream Mypave Paver has a surface area of 160,000 mm2. Divide your meter of 1,000,000mm2 by it. That gives you a total of 6.25 pavers per square meter. You'll only actually fit four pavers into each square meter, but that's how you work out the number for your overall area.

Crommelin 10L DiamondCoat Water Based Paving And Concrete Sealer would be a great choice to seal your paving with after you've laid it.

It's great to hear that you've sorted the cutting issue, and it looks like you've got just about everything covered. Remember your PPE for the job, including gloves, safety glasses and a face mask. Also, I 100% recommend you pick up a pair of kneepads; you'll thank me later. Laying paving is incredibly hard on the knees.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

It's actually really fun so far

I finally figured out my Ozito pressure washer (thanks to the Bunnings person who helped me figure out how to stop it leaking) OMG pressure washing my patio on a super hot day was so much fun!!!!

400x400x40 is the paver I am going with and I worked it out at exactly 6/m2 so it looks like actually my math was bang on

I am allowing for  an extra 10% so getting pavers for 55m2 which I worked out as being 330 that I need to order in total - what do you think?

Thanks for the sealant recommendation how much do you think I should get?

Also in my shopping cart atm it says this 

lakiita_0-1697163873070.png

what does that mean? I have no ball bar on my car or way to transport without delivery :unhappy: I mean I can Airtasker it but delivery would be nice

oh I forgot my biggest question

so I found a great video on how to screed https://youtu.be/W14ppX8hWxc?si=XE7zX_qOfqKqNLsD

but what I don't understand is how can I then lay the pavers without messing up my screed coz surely once I've levelled it I can't walk on it

so confusing 😕

Also how the hell do you pour paint from a 10L paint can to a smaller can without making a mess

I have those paint lip things but I'm scared to try 😕

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm getting more like 343 pavers for 55m2 @lakiita.  

Hopefully, the one 10L of DiamondCoat will be enough to do your pavers. It is available in 4L containers as well, in case you run out. It's a bit hard to tell exactly, as it depends on the porosity of the pavers and how much they suck up. I suspect you might need the additional 4L.

That message likely means there aren't enough of those pavers to fulfil your order at that store. I'd suggest checking the "Change store" option to see if all your products are available for delivery from another store in your area.

I apologise, as we might not have talked specifically about it, but part of laying the screed process is tamping it down and compacting it. Once you've tamped the screed, you should be able to walk on it.

Mitchell

oh no I don't know how to tamp it

I did see your message where you showed me the tamper but that'll take me FOREVER!!!

the tamp is so small :unhappy:

and my patio is so big and that seems like a really BORING task :cheeky: 

do you have to tamp the whole thing like yr making coffee????

do I tamp before or after the screed?? there's no tamping in the video I found :tear: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Tamping is one way to do it if you have to walk over the area @lakiita, though it's not a necessity. Following the video, you can begin laying the pavers onto the screeded area. You then work from the laid area outwards. You'll only be walking on the area you've paved. You can see them doing this in the last few moments of the video.

Mitchell

does that mean I can screed and lay as I go? So then I cld do the whole thing in sections? That wld be pretty cool since i am still really nervous about the size of the job

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects