Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay caravan flooring?

visionragdolls
Just Starting Out

How to lay caravan flooring?

Im about to lay vinyl flooring in my 86 Windor Caravan. I have removed the old vinyl, sanded and prepped the floor. My question now is... should I lay the vinyl over sarking for added warmth and sound proofing? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lay caravan flooring?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @visionragdolls. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about insulating a caravan floor.

Sarking is more of a water and vapour barrier than an insulation product. It's commonly used on house roofs to prevent water from entering the roof cavity. 

If you have the space to spare, you could batten out the floor and install foam insulation. To do this, you'd need to sacrifice at least 10mm of height for the foam board and then, say, 19mm of height for the new ply flooring.

Let me mention our caravan renovation expert @twocutekelpies to see if they have any thoughts.

Whilst we wait, you might like to read through this excellent three-part guide: How to renovate a caravan.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
twocutekelpies
Making a Splash

Re: How to lay caravan flooring?

Hi @visionragdolls 

Yeah, caravan floors can feel pretty cold, when we travelled around Australia, we loose laid carpet over the top of our vinyl floor and found that improved the inside temp a great deal, especially in cold areas. 

Weight needs to be considered with caravans so I'd avoid adding foam and a second floor but check out this Foilboard blog for an idea https://www.foilboard.com.au/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-caravan-insulation/   I assume it is installed underneath the existing floor but they can be emailed for further information at technical@foilboard.com.au 

Foilboard is available from most Bunnings stores. 

Cheers

Shelley

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects