Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to join stringers together?

luckyphil
Finding My Feet

How to join stringers together?

I want to run steps up to a 1.6M high deck. I like the look of these black "Peak" stringers, but Peak do not make the 7-step that I would need. I'm considering putting in a post /lintel and running the 5-step from it up to the deck. I would then bolt the 2-step to the bottom riser of the 5-step and the bottom of the 2-step would be bolted into a concrete pad at the base.

Are there any issues I've missed? Has anybody done this? Thanks in advance for any contributions.

5.jpeg2.jpegwith 1.2M treads

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to join stringers together?

Hello @luckyphil 

Thanks for sharing your question about the Peak stair stringers. The maximum height that Peak produces is the seven-step but it only goes up to 1320mm. Not tall enough for your needs, I suggest having a look at the Galintel 8 Tread Heavy Duty Galvanised Steel Stair Stringer - 2 Pack or the Stringer Merbau Suits 9 Tread. Both of these stringers can be painted in black.

It is possible to weld the Peak stringers together to form a taller unit however, once you do that, it will no longer be covered by the warranty.

Here are the links for the stringer brochures:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric

You are, of course, correct. A slap forehead moment! Perhaps I should have consulted my own notes.

I had been thinking about a 7/2 or a 5/4 combination with an intervening landing. When I came up with the no landing idea, I started typing too quickly and mixed them up. I was aware of the no warranty on welded pieces limitation, but I hoped that putting support under it might do. I guess that black letter rules don't bend.

The Galintel looks like a good product, but only supports 900 treads. I'm wanting 1200, so that would need a third stringer.

The Merbau looks lovely, but is a bit expensive. And painting it would be a sin!

I think I'm back to either

a) the Peak with an intervening landing or

b) a TP or HW timber DIY

A bit more pondering to do..

Thanks for the help

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @luckyphil and reach out if you need further assistance or have questions; we're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects