Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install weatherboard fencing?

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

How to install weatherboard fencing?

Hi wonderful workshop community 

We recently got our new fence installed and now starting to plan out some landscaping.

20230210_192111.jpg

I want it install some weatherboard panels to zone off part of the fence above where the deck will eventually go, using weatherboard panels in the image below.

a-lign-fencng-2__PadWzEyMDAsNjc1LCJGRkZGRkYiLDBd.jpg

From what I gather, I'll need to frame up portions of the space between the posts (RED) for the panels to be fixed to (BLUE).

20230210_192200.jpg

Would love any input from anyone, particularly to do with type of timber, screws, brackets suitable.

Thanks again all.

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Weatherboard fencing

Hello @diy_hausdesigns 

Thank you for sharing your question about giving your fence a weatherboard look. I suggest having a look at the James Hardie 4200 x 150 x 16mm Linea™ Weatherboard. It gives you the traditional look of thick timber weatherboard but with all the advantages and strength of fibre cement.

Here is a link to the installation brochure: ™ Linea™Weatherboard

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

In regards to your posts, you could use some H4 90x45 and paint them white to give the illusion that the posts are actually placed on the outside of the weatherboard fence. For the fence and post capping you can use H3-treated timber in the size that you need. Before you begin, I recommend double-checking the amount of weatherboard you'll be needing so that you'll have exactly what you need.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @EricL 

This looks like a good option of material. I'll have to have a look in person to figure which one looks and works best.

From what I can see in the installation guide I need framing to hang the panels off. I'm planning for it to to be in line with the horizontals (70x45) so the existing posts stand proud. 

20230210_192206.jpg

I figure the new framing will also transfer the load of the panels to the ground at the bottom (existing slab and mini post in ground), reducing reliance on the existing posts (existing slab and mini post in ground

20230211_125357.jpg

What do you think of this as an initial layout?

Regards 

----

Hi @diy_hausdesigns,

Unless the new frame is freestanding, it will only partially transfer the load directly to the ground. It would be best if you wedge the framing pieces inside the fence's horizontal rails.

H3 70 x 45mm Pine is not suitable to be concreted into the ground. You'd need H4 timber, typically only available in H4 posts. You could place plastic shims under the lower framing timbers to keep them slightly off the existing slab.

You can use treated Pine screws to connect your framing sections to the existing rails. You could also reinforce these joints with galvanised brackets.

Your initial layout looks fine, and it appears like it will work well for your project.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc and @EricL 

The shims are a great idea and I'll definitely use the horizontal frame to connect the internal framing.

I think I'm ready to give this a red hot go !

Appreciate the help. 

----

Can't wait to see what you achieve @diy_hausdesigns, I'm sure it's going to be a sensational project! Remember to take plenty of action shots as our members will be thrilled to follow along.

Mitchell

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to install weatherboard fencing?

Hi all.

To date, I've completed the framing for the weatherboard (LHS and RHS) and cladding (middle section).

20230304_111001.jpg

20230304_104111.jpg

20230304_110942.jpg

Here are some progress shots for the fencing project so far.  Thanks again. @MitchellMc  and @EricL 

Cheers all  

----

Looking great @diy_hausdesigns! Well done!

I can't wait for the next instalment, getting close now. It will feel good when you start installing those boards. Most of the hard work is already done.

Mitchell

A bit more progress with the cladding fencing project 

Learning quickly how to work with the FC cladding and jointing compound.

20230309_154203.jpg

Next stage is to install the weatherboarda on the right side.

20230309_142418.jpg

Was initially planning on weatherboards at the left end but decided it'll be overkill and less costly continuing with the FC cladding. 

20230309_153538.jpg

20230309_153656.jpg

----
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@diy_hausdesigns  Can’t wait to see this finished !!!!! 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects