Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install the gate post?

Danson
Getting Established

How to install the gate post?

Thank you for the workshop tips and videos on how to build a gate. I understand that the gate needs to be fixed to the post, but I'm unsure about how to install the post itself.

1. Can I directly attach the gate post to the wall, or do I need to dig a hole and set the post in concrete?
  2. I need gates on both sides of my property. For the left side (see image 1), if I can attach the gate post to the wall, I may need to ask my neighbor for permission. If I have to dig a hole and set the post in concrete, how should I handle the gap between the gate post and the wall?

I hope my questions are clear. Thank you in advance for your suggestions and help.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 22.50.44.png 

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 22.51.42.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install the gate post?

Hello @Danson 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about installing a gate post.

I suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to install posts for a picket fence. The techniques used are applicable to your project. Since the gap between your fence and brick wall are quite big, I propose installing independent posts so that you won't have to drill into your brick wall.

I recommend having a quick look at this discussion - Merbau side gate and panel by @diy_hausdesigns. However, if you decide to anchor your post to your timber brick wall, I suggest using Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus in combination with Chemset anchor studs.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Here are some fence projects our Workshop members have shared: 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Danson
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

Thanks very much for the detailed information. I ordered some posts, palings and rails from bunnings and just got them. I ordered 

I am going to make a 90cm x 180 cm gate by following the bunnings video. Is it too heavy if I make it by using 100 x 50mm rail? Actually for the rail, the size I got is 110 x 50mm 4.8m. Do I need to cut the rail to 75 x 38mm to make the gate? Any suggestions.

Thanks again.

Danson

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Danson,

You'll be fine using the 100 x 50mm timber. The gate will be very solid and a tad heavy, so make sure you use some decent-sized hinges on it, such as the Goliath Left Handed Gate Strap Hinge. These hinges, unlike the Pinnacle 16mm Galvanised LH Long Strap Security Gate Hinge, have ball bearings in them to ensure a smooth opening of the gate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects