Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install steel gate to steel post?

Jay74
Just Starting Out

How to install steel gate to steel post?

Hello 

I have a 100x100mm steel post that’s already concreted into the ground and dynabolted at the top into a brick wall. I need to install a steel gate to this post next. Grateful advice regarding the type of bolts or screws I should use when installing the hinge, noting accessing the inside of the post or gate frame is not possible. Thank you in anticipation. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install steel gate to steel post?

Hello @Jay74 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. it's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your steel post.

In order to give our members a better idea of the type of gate you are installing, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the gate hinges and the gate you'll be using. Depending on the weight of the gate, its hinges and the way that it has been constructed these factors will dictate the type of screw that needs to be used on the post.

It's a given that it will be necessary to drill into the post, the size of the holes will depend on the hinge type to be used. If access to the center of the post is not possible, it will be necessary to drill through to the other side if you are going to be using a nut and bolt assembly. 

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects