Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install coping tiles around a pool?

weesp
Finding My Feet

How to install coping tiles around a pool?

I am looking to install coping tiles round the pool. Looking for recommenedations on what to puit between the conrete beam and the tile itself. A concrete mixed with something to make it water resistant (something like Ardex E90 adhesive or https://www.mapei.com/au/en/products-and-solutions/products/detail/isolastic-50).

Or would a simple tile adhesive do?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: installing coping tiles - adhesive suggestions

Hi @weesp,

When installing coping tiles around a pool, it's important to ensure that the adhesive used provides both strong bonding and water resistance, given the exposure to water and outdoor conditions.

If the concrete beam will be fully encapsulated by the tiles and grout once installed, you can use a simple premixed tile adhesive like Dunlop 310ml Tile-All Plus Premixed Tile Adhesive. This product is suitable for sticking the tiles in place securely. It's designed for both interior and exterior applications, and once grouted, it will ensure that the concrete underneath is well protected from moisture.

However, if parts of the concrete will remain exposed after installation, or if you have concerns about potential water leakage seeping into the concrete, it’s a good idea to first seal the surface to provide additional protection. This will help prevent moisture infiltration, which could lead to issues over time.

For a more robust solution, particularly if you're looking to create a water-resistant mortar bed for adhering the tiles, Ardex E90 is a great choice. It's a flexible additive that, when mixed with cement-based adhesives like Ardex X77 or similar products, enhances their bonding strength and waterproofing capabilities, making it ideal for areas exposed to water such as pool surrounds.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects