Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install Swing Slide Climb Rubber Play Pavers?

NettyH
Just Starting Out

How to install Swing Slide Climb Rubber Play Pavers?

Hi all

I am looking to lay some of the Swing Slide Climb 1 x 1m Grey Rubber Play Paver - Bunnings Australia    outside, on an existing grass area.  I have started to dig up the grass with a pick, I am just wondering if anyone has done the same and can offer some advice, hints, tips and wisdom. 

I am thinking that I will need to put some road base down to compact it and stop the weeds coming up (after spraying the bejeebus out of it obvs) and after reading a post on here from 4 years ago, I will look into some shock absorber mats, but not sure if they will be needed or not.  But my questions are, if anyone can help:

• How deep do I need to dig down?
  • Is road base or sand better for underneath them?
  • Do I just place them down and let them settle on their own or do I glue them down?
  • If I glue them down - is there a special glue?
  • How do they go with water?  They will be in an undercover area, but they will inevitably get wet at some point with wild weather, do they rot easily?

Appreciate if you have got this far and am keen to hear from you all.  🙏

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to install Swing Slide Climb Rubber Play Pavers?

Hi @NettyH,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

This project sounds terrific. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be happy to assist as soon as possible. Please note that there might be a delay in getting back to you as we have a team member on leave today. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laying Swing Slide Climb 1 x 1m Grey Rubber Play Paver outside

Hi @NettyH

Laying Swing Slide Climb 1 x 1m Grey Rubber Play Pavers is an excellent way to create a safe outdoor play area. Start by digging down about 10-15 cm (4-6 inches) to provide a solid base for the pavers. This depth will help ensure they sit evenly and don’t shift over time. It’s advisable to use road base rather than sand, as road base compacts well and offers a stable foundation. Once you’ve laid and compacted the road base, you can place the rubber pavers directly on top; their weight, combined with the compacted base, should keep them in place without the need for glue.

If you’re in a windy area or expect heavy foot traffic, consider using a strong outdoor adhesive designed for rubber to secure them. Rubber pavers are resistant to moisture and won’t rot, making them suitable for areas that may get wet, especially since they’ll be under cover. They also drain well, which helps prevent water pooling on the surface.

To minimise weeds, it’s a good idea to spray the area with weed killer before installation and possibly lay down landscaping fabric underneath. This can help prevent weeds from coming through later. If safety is a concern—particularly in play areas where children might fall—adding shock absorber mats beneath the pavers can provide extra cushioning.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell

Thanks so much for your advice, it's really helpful 😀

Is there a way to compact the road base without a special compacting machine?

Cheers

Netty

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can do it by hand with a hand tamper @NettyH. However, unless it's a small area or you're really keen for a workout, I'd recommend hiring one of our compactors for a day.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects