Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install DIY shade sails off pergola?

helencaceres
Getting Established

How to install DIY shade sails off pergola?

IMG_5950.jpeg

IMG_5951.jpeg

IMG_5952.jpeg

  

I want to place my shade sails off my pergola as the sun hits most of the afternoon and we are unable to sit under the pergola. What is a solution that I can hook the sails on and off, so that I don’t have to have the sails on the whole time? It will need to be attached to my pergola and then I’m thinking to the brick wall, and somehow to the cubby house. I have 2 huge sails, one triangle in shape and the other a square. Your help is greatly appreciated. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY shade sails

Hi @helencaceres,

It looks like you have a great spot for some much-needed shade, but you should consider the strain that shade sails can put on structures, especially in high winds. While your brick wall may be strong enough, the pergola and cubby house likely wouldn't be suitable for the long-term strain of holding up large sails. Installing dedicated posts would be the best solution to ensure the sails are well-supported and your structures remain safe. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to install a shade sail.

For a flexible setup where you can hook the sails on and off, consider using D shackles at the attachment points. This way, you can easily remove the sails when you don't need them or during windy weather. You could attach them to the pergola with these hooks, but it’s important to reinforce the pergola's structure if you plan to use it as a mounting point. Adding some extra bracing or installing a dedicated post next to the pergola might give you the support you need without overloading it.

For the brick wall, you can securely install eye bolts to provide strong anchor points. However, I would avoid attaching the sails directly to the cubby house, as it's unlikely to be strong enough to handle the pressure, especially from a large sail. Instead, consider placing a post nearby for better stability.

This setup should give you the flexibility to enjoy shade when you need it and easily remove the sails when you don't. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

thank you so much for your help. I am really only needing the sails for when I have events at home which is about 3 a year, and they are mostly around Oct/Nov time so no wind, which is why I don’t want to go through all the trouble of posts. The sails will not be going up if there is any wind. I have just watched the linked video on installing sails, the anchor/eyelets that they use to install on the posts, would that be okay to put on my pergola? And then I saw you guys have shade sail kits like the strap tension.. I think I need this because there won’t be enough sail for the distance (I hope that makes sense)

There's a possibility that those anchor eyelets could be used on the posts of your pergola, @helencaceres. However, it would be best to confirm with the manufacturer whether adding fixings to them would be acceptable.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects