Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve appearance of patio roof?

Ana101
Just Starting Out

How to improve appearance of patio roof?

Hello, this is the current patio roof on the house I've purchased. I am assuming the silver is some insulation. It obviously doesn't look great so looking for suggestions on t he best way forward. Should I remove the silver liner (it's under some chicken type wire) or should I add some boards over the top to cover it? I was thinking maybe cement sheeting? Or is there a better alternate that would work and look nice? Thanks! 

IMG_20211217_095056.jpg

ishkan
Getting Established

Re: Patio roof

Thanks!

ishkan
Getting Established

Might be a silly question, but would something like this be OK for battens? @EricL @JacobZ 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/75-x-38mm-4-8m-fence-rail-h3-treated-pine-wet-sawn_p0120814

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to improve appearance of patio roof?

Hello @ishkan 

Although both timber pieces are treated, I believe you are better off with the 70x35 as it is produced for framing.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @ishkan 

That link I cant get to work, This is the closest I could find to what you were asking size wise. 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing H3 Treated Pine - 2.4m 

Yes I would use this for battens.

Dave

ishkan
Getting Established

Thanks both

ishkan
Getting Established

Just on nails again - @EricL @JacobZ  - is there a nail gun you'd recommend for getting the Fibre Cement Nails in?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ishkan,

You can use a gas framing nailgun to install Hardieflex sheets. They take specific gun nails, not the clouts recommended for hammer driving. The only requirement is that they must be full-circle head nails and not D nails. Nails can be purchased when you hire the gun.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects