Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve appearance of patio roof?

Ana101
Just Starting Out

How to improve appearance of patio roof?

Hello, this is the current patio roof on the house I've purchased. I am assuming the silver is some insulation. It obviously doesn't look great so looking for suggestions on t he best way forward. Should I remove the silver liner (it's under some chicken type wire) or should I add some boards over the top to cover it? I was thinking maybe cement sheeting? Or is there a better alternate that would work and look nice? Thanks! 

IMG_20211217_095056.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Patio roof

Hello @Ana101

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about your patio roof.

I suggest using James Hardie HardieFlex™ 2400 x 450 x 4.5mm Eaves 1.08m². It can be hand nailed or gun nailed providing nails are not over-driven. You can cut it to size easily with a score and snap knife. It is deemed non-combustible and suitable for bushfire-prone areas. It will resist damage from rot, moisture, termites, and fire.

I recommend using James Hardie Villaboard Knife Score and Snap to easily cut the HardieFlex to the size that you need. Please note that the HardiFlex comes in different sizes, make sure to measure the gap between your timbers before proceeding to the store. I suggest using Fibre Cement Nails to attach the panel to your patio ceiling.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ishkan
Getting Established

Tagging @EricL -

Resurrecting an old thread, but we’ve got the same type of project and had a couple of questions.

Our joists are at 900mm spacing, so (I think) we need to batten it out before we install the HardieFlex. For battening, we had some questions to try and decide on which type:

- Steel battens: the HardieFlex eaves install manual talks about metal battens needing to be >0.5BMT and 45mm wide. I couldn’t find a Bunnings metal batten product that met that spec, or am I not looking in the right area? The Siniat product was a 22mm with a 0.45BMT

- Timber battens: it’s much easier to find the right size timber battens, and probably easier to nail in too. But is weight a concern, or is the batten weight going to be negligible vs the steel roof that’s on there now/the weight of the HardieFlex?

Appreciate any help!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ishkan,

You can use these Australian Handyman Supplies 40mm x 6.1m Zincalume Steel Topspan Roof Battens which exceed the requirements set out in the HardieFlex manual.

You could also use rough sawn timber battens which are often available in stores but come from regional suppliers, so they are not listed on our website. I'd suggest giving your local store a call and speaking to the team in the Timberyard about their availability.

You can also use 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing H3 Treated Pine as battens, but the cost is likely more than the battens I have mentioned above.

The weight shouldn't be an issue assuming the roof structure is well constructed and in good condition, but if you are concerned I would advise contacting an engineer for their assessment.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Jacob

ishkan
Getting Established

Thanks @JacobZ appreciate the quick response!

ishkan
Getting Established

Sorry @JacobZ another question if you wouldn’t mind:

We’re narrowing in on timber battens. Would you know what the recommended gauge of brad nails is for fixing them to joists?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ishkan 

Can you please tell us what timber batten size you've chosen? Generally speaking, a good rule of thumb for picking screws or nails for your project is this: The length should be twice the thickness of the wood you're driving through. So, if you're driving through a 70mm x 35mm piece and drilling or nailing through the 35mm side, then you should opt for a 75mm long screw or nail.

I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to choose the right screw for the job by @Adam_W.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

ishkan
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL! really useful guide and guidance, appreciate it.

We’re going to proceed with the 70x35mm battens suggested by @JacobZ in an earlier post so your example is perfect.

Thanks again!

ishkan
Getting Established

Sorry, another question, @EricL @JacobZ, are there any spacers you’d recommend for leveling battens once they’re screwed in to make it flat for the Hardieflex? I saw a bunch of window shims - are they ok for ceiling/joist levelling applications?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ishkan 

Yes, you can use plastic window shims to level the battens to the height that you need. My best advice is to use a builder's line so that you have a guide for the timber battens level.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects