Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hold a gate open against brick wall?

Doladin
Growing in Experience

How to hold a gate open against brick wall?

Hi All,

I have a 1600mm tall aluminium gate on the side of my house with a typical D latch. It swings open to be alongside a brick wall.

I like to have this gate open when I'm outside, and it can often pick up with the wind and slam shut. So my question is:

What is an elegant way to hold this gate open against the brick wall?

I do not want to bolt a D latch onto this wall. I don't want an ugly strap, chain or toggle latch.

I am thinking about gluing on some magnets, or if there is potentially something I can put at the hinges to stop it from swinging? Once it's in the fully open position, it doesn't need a lot of holding power (wind only picks it up when it's not fully against the wall, mostly).

I also require a similar solution for my larger carport gate, which also swings up to a brick wall. I am thinking of using a toggle latch on that, unless there is a better option

Fence, Doggo and Froggo for reference

Thanks!

1000006153.jpg1000006178.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Most Elegant Way to Hold Latch a Gate to the Wall?

Hi @Doladin 

To open discussions as your are looks to be under cover.   Consider  a magnetic door stopper/latch if it has the right  look for your area.

Others type  may be found too.

Satin door Chrome Trumpet Magnetic Door Stop

I/N: 4133223

$7.34

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hold a gate open against brick wall?

Hello @Doladin 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at the Adoored Black Heavy Duty Magnetic Door Stop. It is a floor mounted unit which means that you can install it very close to the wall. It is also possible to use this on your carport gate. 

I also propose having a look at the Delf Trade 30 x 165 x 30mm Satin Chrome Foot Operated Door Stop. This is an easy to operate door stop where you put your foot on top of piston locking the gate in place. To release the piston simply step on the release pin and the piston will rise up.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to hold a gate open against brick wall?

Afternoon @Doladin 

I sat here laughing to myself with my first thought..... and ummed and ahhed over the answer....

49c5cb69-c8d3-491c-bff4-36e2f07655fe.jpeg

pgh common brick vic only 230 110 76mm mmm But  I see that that type is only available in victoria :smile:

Soooooo I like the ideas of teh magnetic latches but saw this when I was having a proper look magnalatch side pull lockable pool gate latch might be the way to go, looks liek it can be used with locking even.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects