Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix sloping gap between fence and driveway?

Case
Getting Established

How to fix sloping gap between fence and driveway?

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to tackle the sloped area between my fence and driveway, especially since there aren't enough retaining walls to stabilize the soil. Should I build another retaining wall next to the current ones? 

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-15 at 9.33.18 AM.jpeg

Thank you :smile: 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix sloping gap between fence and driveway?

Hello @Salam123 

I totally suggest doing a small retaining wall, this will give you full control of the slope and you can have a nice flat area on your side of the property. Plus, there is no need to worry about the soil overflowing to the neighbour's garden.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Salam123
Getting Established

Thanks Eric

so one thing is sure now that I have to put in a retaining wall.

i hope I can do it later as builder wants to put driveway soon.

My question is shall I extend driveway to the retaining wall or keep a 500-600mm gap between retaining wall and driveway?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Salam123,

If you were to have the retaining wall built first, you'd have the option to bring the drive closer to it. Without the retaining wall, you'd need to speak with the builder as to how close they're willing to bring the drive. If the soil is unsupported right next to the drive and it shifts, damage to the drive could be caused. 

It sounds like it would be entirely best to install the retaining wall before constructing the drive, no matter where you place it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Salam123 I agree with @MitchellMc to build the wall first as this will define the edge to which the driveway will finish to. Just ensure you use Jack Gal uprights to have an uninterrupted straight line finish. 

Nailbag

Salam123
Getting Established

IMG_8225.jpeg

IMG_8222.png

Thanks for the advice Nailbag and Mitchell and Eric. You guys are extremely helpful.

Just to let you know , The retaining wall is already there . Please have a look at the pics.
The issue is if the existing height of retaining wall is good enough or not.

Builder can’t wait and won’t allow any other person to go and increase the height of existing retaining wall.

what is the way to check of the height of existing retaining wall is good enough or not?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The height of the retaining wall would need to be level with the surrounding soil @Salam123. Is the current height of the soil above the top of the retaining wall?

Provided the retaining wall is in place and it has been engineered to withstand the additional weight of the concrete drive and cars, you should be good to go with bringing the drive up close to it.

Mitchell

Morning @Salam123 

I am not sure if the timber retaining wall would be strong enough to hold the driveway and weight of a car if you extend it to the edge. Having a retaining wall with a footing, rio through the bricks type deal is more what I would think of as being strong enough to hold a parked car/ute's weight,

If you raised the wall to just stop the soil there should be no issue, if you want to extend the driveway itself then I think you will get splaying of the wall down the track.

Dave

Salam123
Getting Established

Thanks 

it looks like to me that the best solution would be to keep around 500-600 mm gap between edge of driveway and existing retaining wall. Once driveway is made then increase the height of retaining wall if required then backfilled so that it looks something like attached file .

IMG_8229.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Salam123 

That's exactly what I would recommend, the added flat surface can serve as a parking spot for your bins.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects