Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix slate crazy paving cracks?

gnicholson
Building a Reputation

How to fix slate crazy paving cracks?

We would like to try and fix ourselves so want to know if there is a product we can use.to fill these cracks without taking out the old cement grout.

20240713_112911.jpg20240713_112937.jpg20240713_112943.jpg20240713_112835.jpg20240713_112900.jpg20240713_112904.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: We have some crazy wistow slate paving about 14 years old . Some cracks have developed between

Hi @gnicholson,

Thank you for your question about repairing cracks around your slate paving.

You should start by giving everything a pressure clean to remove the moss and dirt that has built up over time, as well as the small plants that are growing through.

You're going to have to remove any of the grout that is not connected to anything around it, such as the pieces I've circled below.

Once you've removed the loose sections, you may need to widen the cracks slightly using a Grout Saw before adding some Dunlop Ready-To-Go Coloured Grout in a suitable colour.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

gnicholson
Building a Reputation

Re: We have some crazy wistow slate paving about 14 years old . Some cracks have developed between

Thanks great advice. How do we match the colour as it would have weathered over time, we don't want it to stick out as putting the house on the market in October.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gnicholson,

Unfortunately, there will always be some slight variation in the colour between different materials. 

Ultimately, if you wanted a perfect match, the best way to do it is to remove the old stuff and replace it all with new grout. If you had the budget and time for this, you wouldn't need to worry about matching colours as everything will be new and from the same batch. 

It looks pretty close to the Dunlop Ready-To-Go Coloured Grout - Misty Grey, but you should compare in person as the colours on a screen don't always match up with reality.

My suggestion is to bring one of the loose chunks in store with you and do your best to match it up to a coloured grout. The Dunlop grout bottles are clear so you can see the colour inside. Select the closest to your colour and use it on a small section in a discrete area before committing to that colour.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects