Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix rusty steel fascias?

JulieCorrin
Community Newcomer

How to fix rusty steel fascias?

Steel fascias are very rusty under porch.  A builder had a look at it and said it was only surface rust and fascias are still intact.  He suggested using paint stripper on this part of the fascias, then Rust Kill, sand it back, then paint.  I tried sanding the paint and rust off but the paint is not coming off easily. If I can get the surface of the fascia smooth but can't remove all the paint does it matter? Once I have sanded back the rust should I use CLR on the fascia or Ranex Rustbuster to get rid of rest of rust? Also, can I paint it after the rust treatment or do I need to use primer first?  

20241016_084934.jpg

20241016_084906.jpg

20241016_084922.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix rusty steel fascias?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @JulieCorrin. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on painting fascias.

It sounds like you're on the right track with addressing the rust on your steel fascias. For removing the rust and old paint effectively, I'd suggest using a wire brush attachment on an angle grinder. This will be much more efficient at removing both the surface rust and stubborn paint compared to sanding alone. If you don’t have access to an angle grinder, a wire brush attachment on a drill would also work, though it may take a bit more time and effort.

As for the rust treatment, Ranex Rustbuster can be used to neutralise any remaining rust after you’ve removed the bulk of it. 

Once the rust treatment has been applied and the area is clean, you’ll need to use a primer before painting. A rust-inhibiting metal primer such as White Knight Rust Guard Medium Grey Metal Primer Paint is essential to ensure proper adhesion of the topcoat and to prevent further rusting. After priming, you can apply a topcoat of paint, and exterior paint such as Dulux Weathershield is preferred to ensure long-lasting protection.

Regarding the remaining paint, if you can smooth the surface and the paint is well-adhered, it shouldn’t be an issue if some remains as long as the surface is prepared properly for painting. Just ensure it’s not flaking and that it’s smooth and ready for priming.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects