Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix downpipe water leak?

ewill
Finding My Feet

How to fix downpipe water leak?

Hi all, any help or advice appreciated.  

With the recent rain we had in Melbourne I noticed a downpipe in the pergola area had water gushing out at the base, just above the concrete slab. 

Not sure if it's due to the amount of rain, blockage somewhere or if the downpipe has incorrect parts. 

Screenshot_20221029-220511_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20221029-220501_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20221029-220448_Video Player.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Downpipe water leak

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ewill. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for the question about your overflowing downpipe.

Does this only happen in a torrential downpour? Or is this an issue you've never experienced?

One potential issue if this was a torrential downpour is the offset connection. Your downpipe, which is 100 x 50 and has an internal area of 5000mm², is feeding into the 90mm stormwater pipe with an internal area of 6361mm². This means that the 90mm stormwater pipe can accept more water than the 100 x 50mm downpipe can deliver, which is great. However, if you look at the offset fitting that connects the downpipe to the stormwater, it drastically reduces the amount of water that can flow into the 90mm pipe. The fitting effectively halves the stormwater's actual capacity to 3180mm². You can now see that if your downpipe is flowing at full capacity, then there is 1820mm² of water that has nowhere to go and will start backfilling up the downpipe and eventually into your gutters. This is just an unfortunate downside to an offset fitting that accepts a downpipe mounted flush to the wall, and a stormwater pipe set out and away from it. I suspect you're seeing this water spurt out the join as it is finding the path of least resistance. Have a look at the rendering I've created for you below, which should help illustrate the issue.

The other cause could be blocked pipes, and if the issue persists, or if you're experiencing it with every rain event, then it would be worth having that investigated.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks a lot for that. Illustration shows me why as you've described.  

Therefore, is it worth looking to have another downpipe installed somewhere else within the pergola area ? 

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@ewill,

Adding an additional downpipe could assist if the issue is the fitting and not a blocked stormwater pipe. The fitting would only be an issue in torrential downpours, though. Is this downpipe purely for the pergola, or does it also service the roof's guttering?

Mitchell

I believe this downpipe is just for the pergola.  There's a few other downpipes for the rest of the roof of the house. 

Probably worthwhile getting someone out to have a look now that I've got a fair idea of what's up. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ewill

It's good to see that @MitchellMc's suggestion has given you an idea of where to begin. Finding out if there is a blockage along the drain pipe is a good place to start. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your downpipe repaired.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @ewill 

Similar experience when the town flooded in 2012. I checked the gutters and down-pipe with no issues there - so then I suspected the storm-water pipe to the kerb/gutter. Years previously I had purchased a secondhand auger so I tried a colonoscopy on the PVC storm-water pipe from the gutter end. I had a hose pouring water into the down-pipe to assist in the flushing.

I was amazed at the amount of dirt, sludge, leaves and even a golf ball that came out. It did improve the situation.

Something worth considering?

20221101_094033.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects