Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix cracks in rendered retaining wall?

Benny3
Just Starting Out

How to fix cracks in rendered retaining wall?

107A0BC8-64BA-4862-9A3D-4F3FCC8DE184.jpeg

Hi Bunnings! I’m hoping to repair some cracks in a rendered retaining wall out the front of our house. Picture of one is attached. The render has a consistent sandy textured look/feel. Have read lots of posts on the topic so have put together this plan I was hoping you could look at and guide me:

1 - Widen cracks and remove any loose debris

2 - Fill gaps with mortar (I have some Australian Builders Mortar mix - will just use a small amount)

3 - Use a sponge, toothbrush or paintbrush to match the texture to disguise the patch

4 - Once dry, clean whole panel with vinegar water mix

5 - Prime with DULUX texture med

6 - Paint whole panel with DULUX texture exterior - linseed

Am I on the right path? Any suggestions?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix cracks in rendered retaining wall?

Hello @Benny3 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your rendered retaining wall.

The steps you've lined up are pretty good. But I would like to suggest a few amendments to the sequence of the steps. I recommend putting the cleaning step at the very start and using 30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner Concentrate along with a Sabco Indoor Broom with Bumpers. If you have a pressure washer, that would be effective as well.

Once the wall is totally dry you can then begin your repair job. In order to get as close as you can to the finish of the wall, I suggest using a toothbrush to stipple the surface. Your goal is to make the repair seamless so that it matches the current finish of the wall. 

When the repair has cured, I recommend washing the surface with Selleys 1L Wall Surface Cleaner Super Concentrate Sugar Soap in combination with the Sabco broom. This will remove any grease and grime buildup on the surface of the wall.

When the wall dries up once more, I suggest using Dulux Weathersheild if you are just painting over the surface of the wall. But if you wish to change the look of the surface then you can certainly use the Dulux texture paint.

Here is a handy guide to help with your painting: How to paint like a professional

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Benny3
Just Starting Out

Re: How to fix cracks in rendered retaining wall?

Thanks very much for the advice. Looking forward to getting started on this project!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects