Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap between the garage and boundary fence?

hazel9988
Just Starting Out

How to fill gap between the garage and boundary fence?

IMG_3166.jpeg

IMG_3563.jpeg

  

IMG_3826.jpeg

Any suggestions for closing the small gap between the garage and boundary fence, in a way it looks good overall and  prevents animals from getting trapped there? Thank you. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Gap between the garage and boundary fence?

Hi @hazel9988 

I was just thinking of a contoured wooden plank attached to the fence.

But is there a specific look you're after?

That is an amazingly small gap - same gap on the other side? Too small for a human?

Cheers.

Hello Noyade,

Thanks for your response and suggestion.

We built up to the boundary with a 200mm gap, as required by the council—funny rule, but it’s only on one side. The other side has a wider space, so we don’t plan on doing anything there.

Since it’s a rental, we’re unsure whether to close the gap for better aesthetics and easier maintenance. My husband initially thought of using a paling to close it, but I’m unsure how it would look or if it might appear awkward with just one there.

Your suggestion of a contoured wooden plank might actually work better and look nicer.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @hazel9988,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It's great to see you've already gotten some advice from @Noyade.

My first thought is to essentially build an extremely short fence, using Galvanised Angle Brackets to attach timber rails to the brick and then to the rails on the existing fence. You could then use 1-2 palings to cover the gap. 

I don't think it would look too out of place and would certainly cover the gap well.

Allow me to tag @Dave-1 and @Nailbag to see if they have any creative ideas.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @hazel9988 

Over time the fence will move in some form or another so personally I would avoid fixing anything from fence to wall. So, I would use a galvanised 90deg bracket as @JacobZ suggested either fixed to the brick or the fence itself with the fence being the easiest option. Then fix a single fence paling to it to cover the gap.

Regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 9.55.29 PM.png

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @hazel9988 

I would attach a vertical piece of timber to the brick wall for the same reasons that @Nailbag  has mentioned.

Id even be tempted to put up two short rails tyop and bottom like your existing fence so you could attach fence palings to them to match the design of the fence.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects