Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap between neighbour's fence and retaining wall?

sumeeth
Community Newcomer

How to fill gap between neighbour's fence and retaining wall?

Fence_Retaining_Wall.jpeg

I'm looking for some advice on best and cheapest way to cover the gap (about width 36 cm) between my neighbour's fence and our retaining wall (about 80 cm deep) over a length of 20 meters

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gap between neighbour's fence and retaining wall?

Hello @sumeeth 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about filling the gap between your retaining walls.

I propose putting an extra rail on the fence and installing timber noggins across between the rail and the retaining wall. I then suggest putting Merbau decking panels on the noggins thereby covering the gap. I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how it can be done. The materials I've mentioned are designed to be used outdoors and if maintained properly will provide a long service life.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noyade, @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @sumeeth 

hahahah @EricL has beaten me to the punch! Here I was think you I would cover the area between fence and retaing wall with timber and then before I had figured a way to do it I scroll and @EricL has nailed it!

I would add that you may want to add a screen to the top of your fence as the new area will be large enough to stand on. Then easily lean too far over the fence and away you go....

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @sumeeth as much as I love @EricL plan I am not a fan of fixing any structures to neighbouring fences as long term its likely to come back and bite me.

So as a thought, you could could planter boxes out of 150mm x 25mm treated pine plinth board fixed to the inside of the concrete wall and also supported on galvanised stayed brackets. Drill holes in the bottom for water to escape, then line the inside of the boxes with builders plastic. You could plant them out with sometime of ground cover that flowed over the wall.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 7.27.03 AM.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects