Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend the height of garden bed?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

How to extend the height of garden bed?

I have been given free sleepers (200X100mm) which are somewhat warped, cupped and twisted. My plan is to improve upon the height of the current 'garden' barrier and hence wage war with orange beaks.

Their throwing distance is phenomenal.

I'm looking for methods of attachment and curing the bows. I have a few ideas.

There are two areas to consider (see photo below).

Only two stipulations.

• It must not (height wise) impede the opening of a car door.
  • It must be strong enough to withstand the occasional tyre knock.

Cheers.

Scan1408.jpg

While playing with a bracket and sleeper - one bird continued to toss bark out in front of me! 😏

20230723_124524.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Bird Barrier Extension

Success.

20230727_140620.jpg

A reconnaissance spy arrived today, just after lunch - to report back to the Orange Beaks on the heightened wall.

20230728_130049.jpg

@EricL @MitchellMc @Noyade - so the learning is if we try to unbow with a bolt from a stable surface we might be able to achieve it?…

looking for mission completion report and on top of all if it is successful or not

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @jaiprak 

"so the learning is if we try to unbow with a bolt from a stable surface we might be able to achieve it?"

Well, that's my theory. 😁

But if this wood wasn't free, I wouldn't be doing this.

Next stage is to use the uncut 200mm sleepers on the existing large sleepers that are angled towards the driveway.

I had to cut bevels on the edges of the sleepers and fabricate brackets out of 100mm X 5mm steel that incorporated a fillet for strength.

Each bracket is of a slightly different angle - as nothing seem to be straightforward with this project....

20230722_122847.jpg

20230727_172109.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I managed to position one bracket - before the rain started.

20230728_132955.jpg

20230728_143832.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Finished.

Painted just now.

20230729_150747.jpg

20230729_150704.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good morning @Noyade 

Like a bought one! :laugh: that has turned out beautifuly and now I really get the "barrier" for the birds flicking the bark chips around. Love how it blends into the garden with the grey aklso.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks @Dave-1 

I found the hardest part was 'untwisting' the ends of the contorted 200 X 50 sleepers, when once the other end was secured.

Example - the other end is secured - but this end is rigidly held at this angle. Clamping it back to the vertical side of the bracket was a difficult process. Amazing how wet sleepers reach this situation when they dry out unattached to anything.

20230728_154808.jpg

Should there ever be an opportunity to do something like this again - I'm gonna weld up an 'untwister' that can be held done by someone while I drill and bolt. But I don't think that opportunity will arise.

Scan1413.jpg

20230728_143848.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Noyade 

I like that idea! And yeah getting the same type of resources again after you finish the project never really happens. 😕 I am always hunting for gal mesh for gabion wall stuff. Sometimes its about but mostly nope. Also I bet once the last basket I want done is finshed then there will be heaps! 

Making up a specific tool would be handy... Now where to store it when its not used :smile:

The bracket Looks great btw.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Cheers @Dave-1 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects