Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enclose existing pergola?

tan_tran81
Just Starting Out

How to enclose existing pergola?

Hi,

we have a open pergola that attached to the house. We would like to build up stud walls and glass windows to cover up the area.

Is it possible to do so?

if yes, can you please share us some idea.

thanks in advance

Tan

IMG_1996.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cover up existing pergola

Hi @tan_tran81,

Thank you for your question about enclosing an open pergola and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

What you're proposing is certainly possible, but the place to start with a project like this is to consult with your local council to see if it's allowed. They may consider what you're planning to build an extension to your home, which would likely require council approval before construction.

The next thing to consider is the proximity to the fence line. Not only will it make the construction of the walls difficult, but most councils won't allow construction right up to a fence line. This is referred to in construction as "setback". This is something to ask about when you contact your local council for guidance.

If your council is happy for you to proceed, I'd suggest having a look through How To Build a Stud Wall for some guidance on framing.

If your council is not happy for you to proceed, an option is to enclose the pergola with bistro blinds which can offer great weather resistance while still allowing the light in.

Once you've spoken to your local council, I will be happy to assist further.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects