Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enclose back patio?

motherdough
Community Newcomer

How to enclose back patio?

Hello, 

We have done some minor DIY eg installed new kitchen and laundry (mostly flat packs), built some draws ourselves for custom fit etc.. But this project is more complicated.

Provided we get council approval, we would like to enclose the open wall of the back patio (raised section attached to house), as we have a sleepout type room that opens onto this, but isn't really used much because you have to go outside to access it. We have recently started a family so the extra space on patio could also serve as a safe playroom etc. 

So thinking timber frame the areas between the metal posts, install sliding door and sliding aluminium windows (2nd hand) to cover most of area. Just wanted advice on a few problems; 

- The existing roof doesn't cover the whole patio area, at the end there is an awkward area. I am not sure how to handle enclosing this corner

- Should we repair the concrete at the base of the poles (still very secure), and if so, how? 

- Also any other tips on framing, window/door installation, insulation of ceiling (if possible?), or exterior cladding, would be great. The sun hits this area in the afternoon and is hot in summer, so I would probably install blinds to exterior but any other ideas would help

Feeling a bit over our heads but keen to get this to work!

Thank you

Looking northLooking northLooking southLooking southNorth side (roof doesn't cover whole area)North side (roof doesn't cover whole area)Pole/concrete supportPole/concrete support

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to enclose back patio

Hello @motherdough 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about how to enclose a back patio.

Let me try to answer some of your questions.

• I propose lining up the wall to where the steel bearer is which I believe is also in line with the brick wall. This will save you from having to make any structural changes on the floor and roof. thereby saving you money as all you have to do is to build a wall in line with your brick wall.

• I suggest patching the damaged pole footing with concrete so that it looks nice.

• Make sure to install insulation and take into account the possibility of installing an aircon unit in the room. I recommend an ordinary door and very large windows so that there will be good airflow.

I suggest engaging the services of a draftsperson and asking them to draw a framing plan. They will be familiar with the rules and regulations of your local council. They will be aware of the rules on how far the wall can extend on that concrete base. As to the complicated end of your wall, I propose keeping it simple and staying in the boundary of the 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @motherdough 

Gaining some space would be nice :smile: Definently doable but id check with the council as you say first.

I have repaired concrete segments/cracks on my pation like yours this way Concrete patio repair 

Considering the posts support the roof I am a little hesitant about trusting it to the level of only the posts carrying the weight of your roof into the future. I do trust concretemate and the screws I am suggestion, just dont know enought to say "yeah it will carry"

I would frame up the new wall and in doing so I would include teh ability for it to carry your roof. That way you get the repair and the knowledge that its strong enough to carry the load. You could install new structual posts first, then remove the old ones (mainly because the base dosnt look support underneath) Repair the concrete and then finish the framing out.

My sunroom at the back of my house was a former exposed patio area I am pretty sure of. It slopes :surprised: I didnt realise that until I went to install some shelve on the wall and measured from the floor up and then checked with a level lol So Id check your floor and make accomadations if needed. It was sloped so water runs off naturally.

Considering the area gets hot and you are goingto activly use the room I would remve the ceiling lineing, instal insulation bats /any changes to lighting and then a new ceiling installed.

I would also go the route of insulating the any new walls and I like your idea of cladding them.

Some questions.

-I was just going over the pics and noticed that switchbox? near the rear door with a blue lid. Is it a switchbox? If so it will need moving maybe. 

-The windows to the bathroom and toilet will exit into the newly closed area. You will need exhausts to outside to cover that issue otherwise you will end up with condensation problems and maybe pongy ones as well :smile:

-The old ceiling that I suggested to be removed and replaced looks like it may be fibro, if so it probarly has asbestos in it. Test it and then get a professional to remove it. I know that the fines have increased for dodgy disposals of material so would make sure the company you use is valid.

I would love to see your conversion as a project :smile: It would be pretty interesting to see how you convert it. Never to many photos :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @motherdough,

I share @dave1's concerns about the poles and the damage to the concrete at their base. Both poles have the same damage. Did someone break this area away to have a look at how far the posts enter the slab or did this happen by itself? Not only is the concrete broken away at the front but the sandstone (?) underneath looks to be deteriorating too. 

I'd encourage you to enlist the services of a professional to repair the foundation at the posts or have the posts replaced.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to enclose back patio?

Hi @motherdough 

There are a number of issues/concerns that my fellow braintrusts have already highlighted. In addition there is the floor level to be addressed, though not a structural issue, it would need to be built over to level.

The project though very achievable has a lot of advanced building aspects. so, my first point of call would be to enlist the services of a draftsperson if you were thinking of doing it yourself/project manage. They will be able to produce a structural design that takes in to consideration your purpose needs and building requirements to be submitted to council for approval. Otherwise get a few quotes from "registered" local builders as they have both the qualifications and skills to work through the issues, and handle the project start to finish.

It will be after working with either of these two services that a more defined plan of attack outcome can be acheived.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects