Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to dog-proof metal gate in an apartment?

raviks007
Just Starting Out

How to dog-proof metal gate in an apartment?

Hi there

I need suggestion to dog proof the metal gate in an apartment. The gap is around 5.2 inches in height and the gate is around 38 inches width. I need a simple solution to attach something easily to the bottom of the gate so that our small puppy doesnt get through. The gate still need to be operational and since I am on rent here, I dont want to overdo it, hence need some simple suggestion that works. Thanks

Ravi0EE353CA-440E-418A-86B6-5F45309BE2FF.jpeg0315A4F4-47BA-4AF7-A54E-0CBFD2141B45.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to dog-proof metal gate in an apartment?

Hi @raviks007,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you join us.

It looks like the gate swings inwards, is that correct?

My suggestion is to cut a piece of timber such as this 90 x 22mm Decking H3 Treated Pine that is just wider than the gate so the edges hit the posts outside of the gate, drill 4-5 holes through the top edge of it and somewhat loosely attach it to the bottom rail of the gate with zip-ties

Assuming the gate swings inwards, this will allow the gate to swing freely as the connection to the gate is not completely rigid, but the pine board will be too wide to swing under the gate as it will hit the posts on either side.

This would be a fairly simple way to block the gap while not causing any damage to the metal gate.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas, @Noyade, @Nailbag, @Dave-1.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @raviks007 what @JacobZ will work well and as an alternative I've used plastic gutter guard before to keep puppies in. You can cut it with a sharp knife or large scissors an d also secure with cable ties.

Nailbag.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @raviks007 

I have another thought. Just depends on how comfortable you are with using a pop rivet tool? :smile:

Using something like this Fielders 900 x 0.55mm Zincalume Steel BMT Flat Steel Sheet and attach it to the bottom of the gate with 4 pop rivets spaced across the gates width. So 4 new holes will be needed to be drilled. You could also paint it black so it blends in with the existing gate. Best bit, when you move out just drill out the four pop rivets and bingo the puppy guard is gone.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects