Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to deck an area of this size to flow from alfresco over the dirt?

MrSober
Building a Reputation

How to deck an area of this size to flow from alfresco over the dirt?

So what started out as a simple deck covering our alfresco area has ballooned out to now add in the area around the alfresco also as I think it would just make for a nicer area once it is done.

I done a deck before but was only really over concrete so was a pretty simple one I found using KlevaKlips etc to get it all level and supported. No with this one spreading out over concrete and dirt I am having a little trouble working out what is the correct way to support the deck joists over the dirt, there seem to be a few different options but seems hard to find the pros and cons of each.

I was thinking to just have a one step sized step down from the alfresco to the deck over the dirt as this in my mind would make it a bit easier to get it all sorted and would mean I could finish off the alfresco part first and then do the other part later on. The Wife has put the idea of having it all level forward which I think could be a good option but also I am not 100% sure how I would achieve this.

Proposed area

Proposed Deck area.PNG

How it all currently looks, kinda a mud pit which is other reason I want to get it sorted so I can get the draining in so it doesn't pool anymore.20221104_143610.jpg

Is there any specific product one might put forward of what to use over the dirt area to either get it the same level as the alfresco or maybe a step down.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to deck an area of this size to flow from alfresco over the dirt?

Hi @MrSober

Thank you so much for the update, it's great to see that you've started your decking project. Can I please request for some photos of the decking frame once you've completed it? I'm sure our members would be keen to see how you've installed the Uni-Pier Post With Adjustable Screw Top Head

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your decking frame assembled.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MrSober
Building a Reputation

Been very slack with updating on this, finished stage 1 of the deck just in time for Christmas lunch last year. Stage 1 consisted of just the Alfresco area for now as I need some other work done before I could start on the rest as it would just get in the way. Many other landscaping projects going on like moving over 10 cube of soil into my retaining walls etc.

I ended up for the slab using window packers and masonry screws, there is very minimal gap to line up with the back door so to try and lesson the water into the frame painted all cut ends and the bottom of all joists with bitumen paint. Won't make it last forever but the good thing about this side of the house is it gets alot of sun.

Some of the progress photos as I remembered to actually take some.

20221204_162739.jpg

20221213_170459.jpg

20221216_104933.jpg

  

20221219_172259.jpg

20221220_192438.jpg

  

20221223_190620.jpg

I've now moved onto the front of the house as the Wife has been bugging me more about that as its visible from the street. So far have done the porch and will be doing some smaller rectangle decks going down the slope.

20230506_171319.jpg

I knew concrete is meant to have a bit of a slope so excess water runs off but this porch has a very steep slope as you can see in the photo.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Beautiful work @MrSober, and many thanks for the update. You've certainly been busy.

What timber did you use? Is it Spotted Gum? Whatever it is, its come up a treat!

Great work, and I can't wait to see your next update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MrSober
Building a Reputation

The wood I used was Blackbutt, its the second deck I have done out of this wood as I really like the natural colour and how well it holds up. I do prefer a less tinted stain than what I went with as this Intergain one I went for was still a bit red even though I went with the Natural colour.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects