Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover screw holes on timber staircase?

Ollie2410
Just Starting Out

How to cover screw holes on timber staircase?

Hello. We have a timber outdoor staircase that has had a couple of steps replaced due to rot. 

The tradesman had to place screws externally. 

As you can see on the photo it is pretty obvious where the screws have gone in. 

I have paint at home, but is there a putty/resin that can be recommended to fill the screw holes in first before sanding smooth?

thank you!

B1FD86E7-2B57-4EFB-B98F-2D664BF8F7CC.jpeg

45198A78-F7B5-4BA7-95C3-C0A6382A69FD.jpeg

  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover screw holes on timber staircase?

Hi @Ollie2410,

Thank you for your question.

It looks like the screws are already embedded below the surface so you should be able to cover them fairly easily, but if you find any of them are a bit too close to the surface, I'd drive them in a little bit extra.

Once all the screws are sufficiently embedded, use Builders Bog to fill the hole. This is a two-part filler consisting of the filler and a hardener. Mix them together following the instructions and then apply them with a 50mm Plastic Scraper.

Once the bog has hardened, give it a quick sand with 120 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll to remove any raised edges and to smooth the bog. You can then paint over the top.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects