Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert a front lawn into a gravel yard with car park?

tts4
Just Starting Out

How to convert a front lawn into a gravel yard with car park?

I have a front lawn that I'd like to convert into a parking bay with filled gravel as I don't want it to be concrete. The soil is mainly clay. How can I do that? How many layers (sand, gravel) should there be? How thick is each layer? A car under 2,000 kgs should be able to park on it.

Thank you.

tts4

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to convert a front lawn into a gravel yard with car park?

Hello @tts4,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're delighted to have you join us and hope you'll find this site a great resource for all your home improvement and D.I.Y. projects. 

Thank you for your question. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be able to assist once he's back online on the site later today. In the meantime, could you please share any photos or additional details about your front lawn so our members get a better idea of the space involved?

While waiting, you can also have a look at these similar discussions posted by other members in case they help: 

Keep us updated as your project progresses. We'd love to see the final result. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tts4 

An ideal product to use for driveway support is the Strol 0.5m² SurePave Plastic Pavers. It's super-strong with a wall thickness of 3.5mm to handle traffic and turning. It's able to withstand 700 tonnes per m² when filled and is made from 100% recycled plastic. It's UV stabilised for outdoor use and the panels interlock securely to reduce long-term creep.

The video guide below recommends digging out the vegetation and placing a fine gravel mix of 30mm and screed to level. My only other recommendation is to run a plate compactor over the area once you have the SurePave and gravel placed over the area.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Great suggestion @EricL - I used those on an area of lawn beside my driveway. Nobody in my house could keep on the driveway and the lawn was getting wrecked. I also installed the concrete version of the same thing for a friend - who wanted the concrete ones - lot harder to do but works just as well. Adbri Masonry 420 x 315 x 95mm Charcoal Turfgrid Paver - Bunnings Australia

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects