Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to close a side of our patio to create a catio?

icandoit8
Just Starting Out

How to close a side of our patio to create a catio?

So this is the side of the house( we’re renting !!)  looking on the street . Looking at enclosing to make it safe for a catio. 
for that side; I was thinking fence panels 1.5m ( side to side is 3 m ) horizontal to cover the « white » wall with 3 support poles ( 1each side and 1 middle) 

and finish with cat netting to reach the top . 

any other suggestions would be appreciated 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to close a side of our patio to create a catio?

Hi @icandoit8,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Is it possible to get some photos from the inside of the gate? Also, facing towards the fence line? This will help our members offer the most specific advice possible.

How tall is the white breeze block wall? Blocking this completely would be important as I'm sure your cat would be able to slip through it. You might be able to use a SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panels on their side, with a slight overlap in the middle.

You could fix them in place using Jack 135cm Black Premium Ultraposts with Zenith 12G x 30mm Galvanised Type 17 Hex Head Timber Screws to hold them in place.

You could then use these timber panels as an attachment point for your netting. The main problem I see is how to attach the netting to the roof structure without causing any damage to it.

You might be able to use some Command Mini Clear Adhesive Hooks, however, these aren't designed for outdoor use so the adhesive may fail over time and require replacement.

Allow me to tag @Dave-1, @Jewelleryrescue and @Noyade to see if they have any ideas.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @icandoit8 

I was talking to one of the admin girls at work the other week and mentioned how a lot of people have cat enclosure issues and they rent. She had found a solution :smile: 

Catnets 

Seriously I was impressed when I saw her photos (lives on a balcony and has limited fixing points) but the netting was so easy to install. I was ready to launch into a complicated way with tomber and cable ties. The netting really solved the issue and best bet she is taking it with her when she is moving.

Have a look at the link and then if that stuff dosnt solve the issues let us know :smile: I do like thinking up non permanant ways of attaching brackets to existing structures. (Some ways you can is using large pipe clamps, cable ties of course and also spiral wind rope between mesh and those holes in that block wall.

Dave

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @icandoit8 

I have managed to finally cat proof the entire back yard so our  little friends can enjoy the outdoors with out getting into  danger and this took a few months of watching the cats and there problem solving abilities to escape the yard.  Slowly covering the latest escape point on the fence with  what i was using bunnings  garden steel fine mesh and some timber frame at need.

@Dave-1  cat net  solution is good and solid  and transportable  when you move and not hugly expensive.   Wire  these days  is similar in price approx $60 a 30 metre roll. Look into that first of all.

Dont forget to check the timber fence for loose pallings and  keen cats  can climb netting and escape across the roof if there are gaps. But you being a cat own already know all that.

Apart  from  cat net I might use two tall timber poles ( ground to ceiling  ideally) across the openings front and back and use  netting wire (garden mesh wire) bunnings tacked to the timber  poles. You will need to make a  wire door, with possible timber frame.

My cats mostly looked for higher items to jump up on  from the ground before they thought about fence jumping  and or higher

Its a  good idea to have a camera watch your babies so you can learn how they are planning the  next great escape and head it off.  Go  outside and  sit  with them for awhile they will fogive you soon,

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @icandoit8,

Looking forward to seeing some more photos as per Jacob's reply and seeing this project come together.

Just wanted to add that some of our members have previously shared "catio" projects with the community that you might get some help and inspiration from.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG_8466.jpeg

IMG_8467.jpeg

IMG_8468.jpeg

  

HI @icandoit8,

You could build a timber frame using treated pine, creating a simple structure with three vertical posts—one on each side and one in the middle, as you've mentioned. These posts can be fixed into weighted bases or angled bracket legs installed on it to keep the structure stable without attaching it to the house. You could then run horizontal timber beams along the top and bottom to support either netting or fence panels.

For added versatility, consider using removable panels that can be secured to the frame. You can attach netting at the top of the frame to prevent your cat from escaping while allowing fresh air and sunlight into the space. This approach gives you the flexibility to adapt the catio setup to your needs while keeping it renter-friendly. 

Please let me know fi you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects