Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cat proof our carport?

RMead
Finding My Feet

How to cat proof our carport?

Hi we have just put up a new good neighbour fence and I thought our measurements would accurately bring the fence up to near the top of the carport but it hasn’t. We have an issue with cats coming in and spraying on bike trailers etc. I would like to cat proof this cheaply any suggestions? 

8E25991F-E435-497E-8B59-99D93711299C.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cat proof our carport?

Hello @RMead 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about cat proofing your carport. 

I suggest trying out Multicrop 750ml Keep Off Dog and Cat Repellent. It is non-toxic and won't harm pets, plants or humans. I recommend spraying the top of the fence and the areas that they like to do their business in.

To add more deterrents, I propose using orange and lemon peels around the garden. You can also spray Glitz Green 2L Cleaning Vinegar around the entrance and exit areas of your garage. These scents naturally offend cats as their sense of smell is 14 times more sensitive than a person's nose.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when spraying in the garage.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RMead,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll get plenty of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful community members.

I trust you found Eric's reply helpful. There are some more tips from another of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts Mitch in this post: How do I cat-proof my backyard?

I also wondered whether you were specifically wanting a solution to close or cover the gap between your fence extension and the carport roof? Let us know if that's what you were thinking. 

Thanks,

Jason

RMead
Finding My Feet

Hi thanks Jason and Eric - this was more what I was after to close the gap rather than spray chemicals 

cheers

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries, thanks for confirming @RMead. Are you able to measure the current gap? - it might help community members propose more specific solutions. And I take it the fence extension was the highest you could select when it was installed?

Jason

RMead
Finding My Feet

Thanks Jason it is about 30cm and yes our extension option didn’t seem to work probably should of done 2 plinths but too late now 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RMead 

Thanks for the clarification, there are a few ways to attach a lightweight extension to your fence. I propose having a look at the RapidMesh 600 x 900 x 0.6mm 6.5 x 6.5 Silver Wire Mesh Panel in combination with Porta 40 x 18mm 2.4m Moulding H3 Treated Pine DAR. If the gap to be covered is around 300mm the mesh can be cut in half and attached to the treated pine. You then attach the assembly to the post extension of the fence. I've placed a few sketches below to give you an idea of how they can be put together.

Another option is to use the Matrix 1800 x 450mm Charcoal Ferns Fence Extension. It comes with a colour matched slimline frame top and bottom which adds support and rigidity. However, it is only 1800mm long so the panels will possibly not line up with the fence posts. Please make sure to measure the distance of your fence posts so that you can compare it to the Matrix panels width.

Please have a look at the extension options and tell me what you think. If you happen to see something else that you prefer, please don't hesitate to ask questions about it.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects