Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build this floating table ?

daniel4
Having an Impact

How to build this floating table ?

Dear all.

I am looking for some inspiration for making over my backyard wall, and I saw this pic from Bunning Workshop headlines.

Image was extracted from Bunning Workshop portal.

pic1.jpg

I may be wrong, but looks like it was created using decking panel or equivalent timber.

I think the table top & side can be build with similar way on laying a deck. 

However, I am wondering on how to build the frame that can support this table.

This is also seeking any possible method to hide any supporting bracket that attached between frame and wall.

Thank you everyone.  

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build this floating table ?

Hi @daniel4 

Could kindly take photo of area the bench  needs to float.  To @EricL and @MichellMc and  other support  your request.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @daniel4,

It is awesome you are inspired by @diy_hausdesigns's outdoor breakfast bar. Check out his great breakdown of how he created this breakfast bar using timber for the framing and Ekodeck for the cladding. I am sure he would be happy to share further insights as well. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be back online later this afternoon to further assist with methods to hide the supporting brackets. 

We would love to see how your project comes to life, please update us with some photos. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @daniel4 

Thanks for reaching out and @KatieC has pointed you in the right direction for how it all came together.

In summary,

- The main frame is joined to the vertical posts of the existing screen.

- The horizontal frame (for the main surface) is cantilevered of the frame using brackets. 

- the side section is fixed into the main frame and cantilevere the horizontal surface as well.

- the whole thing is clad in ekodeck (great stuff, much like a deck as you picked up).

Happy to share any further insights.

Kind regards 

Rufaro (hausdiy_weekender)

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Thanks for sharing Rufaro (@diy_hausdesigns). Great to see your fantastic projects continue to inspire people!

@daniel4 - please let us know if you have more specific questions. We are here to help and are looking forward to seeing what you can create at your place.

Jason

daniel4
Having an Impact

Thank You @Jewelleryrescue , @KatieC @diy_hausdesigns and @Jason for responding to my question and detailing those information.

@Jewelleryrescue Below is the picture of wall area that I plan to : 

• Install a screen, perhaps something like slatted screen.
  • Install a floating ( or breakfast table )

As you also see in this pic, I am also currently working to build a low level deck ( currently at step  of laying down those deck timbers and screwing).

Surely will keep this forum updated once I have progressed from Deck into Table/Screen.

Thank you again all.

deck_2_laying down deck.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @daniel4

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from our community members. My only suggestion for your build is to make a frame on your wall and design the bracket of the floating table along with it. In this manner, when you attach the slatted screen, you can work your way around the floating table frame.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your deck and floating table ready for use.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Good  work @daniel4 

Like your plans   have fun  creating.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects