Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build subframe for deck?

TAEncBay37
Getting Established

How to build subframe for deck?

I am well into establishing a pergola with planter boxes , which will have an Ekodeck deck floor! The pregola has been built and the planter boxes are about 50% of the way to completion. I have acquired the Ekodeck panels and will shortly purchase the H3 treated pine for the subframe for the deck.

The attached plan shows the subframe layout that I have designed thus far. The external subframe will comprise 190mm X 45mm Treated pine, which will be bolted onto the timber planter boxes (they are built from 200mm X 50mm Tinted Treated Tan E sleepers) on three sides and lock bolted onto a 150mm thick concrete path on the fourth. 

I will use Tuffbllock supports (19 at this stage) to hold 90mm X 45mm (?) Treated joists as shown on the attached plan, support spans as per the Tuffblock advice at not greater than 450mm centres!

The Ekodeck will be laid 

I am looking for advice on whether I have identified the right timber specification for the deck and whether the timber plan including noggins to connect side timbers to carry an exterior frame of Ekodeck Designer edge looks appropriate for the job.

Appreciate your advice on this proposal.Decking Detail: Longitudinal AlignmentDecking Detail: Longitudinal AlignmentDecking Subframe PlanDecking Subframe PlanConcept DesignConcept Design 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: House of the Dragons: Pergola & Timber Plant Boxes and Ekodeck Decking: Advice on subframe fo...

Hello @TAEncBay37 

Thanks for sharing your question about your decking plans. Before you begin, this is just a friendly reminder to please check with your local council's rules and regulations regarding low-level decks. The council will sometimes have size limits and require you to submit plans in order to get a permit. Especially if you are building something outside those limits. 

Your plan looks fantastic, it's very detailed and easy to read. The timber pieces you've chosen are sufficient for a low-level deck project. My only suggestion is to add two more tuff blocks centred on the third and fourth joist. I believe it's better to have extra support rather than a bouncy section of the deck.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: House of the Dragons: Pergola & Timber Plant Boxes and Ekodeck Decking: Advice on subframe f

Hi @TAEncBay37 awesome plans and makes our job very easy. I can't add anything more than what @EricL has already mentioned being adding the two additional Tuff blocks and most importantly you will need to get council approval for something of this size. The risk you take if you don't is by a neighbour making a complaint to local council should they not like what they see over the fence height and close to their boundary. Council has the power to enforce you to demolish the structure without the option to submit plans post-construction. I have seen this happen and it wasn't pretty. The other reason is at the time you decide to sell the home and a building inspector raises the question to potential buyers.

Regards, Nailbag.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to build subframe for deck?

Morning @TAEncBay37 

Thats a nice looking design, I havnt used the tuff blocks yet but id add the extra couple as @EricL and @Nailbag have sugggested. You are bolting the side of the deck to the planter boxes? I wonder if you could bolt through from the insideof teh planter boxes to the deck frame. Just in case you ever decide you want to switch the planting boxes out. 

The only other thing I could add is maybe an extra rail between the middle and sides. Not really needed but less chance of springyness.

Dave

TAEncBay37
Getting Established

Re: House of the Dragons: Pergola & Timber Plant Boxes and Ekodeck Decking: Advice on subframe f

Thank you for your valued advice and everything is all OK Council wise for compliance etc. I will get the extra Tuffblocks as you, Nailbag and Dave suggested!

How fortunate we have this resource to assist us with our projects and I will send through a photo of the project once completed! All I need now is some drier weather! Cheers TAEncBay37

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects