Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build outdoor steps?

kitfriendesq
Building a Reputation

How to build outdoor steps?

I'm looking to build some relatively low traffic stairs for the side of our house, total rise is approx 600mm, width around 1200-1300mm. 

The Peak Products Black 3 Tread Steel Stair Stringers look like a good solution but I'm trying to work out the most economic approach for the treads, but all the suitable timber treads (or timber of a suitable ~240mm width) seem pretty pricey: https://www.bunnings.com.au/240-x-45mm-1-2m-stair-tread-h3-treated-pine-domestic-use_p0090470 

1. Any thoughts on most economic stair tread material?

2. I can't find a maximum weight tolerance for the stringers but I'm assuming they won't be able to take concrete treads... 

Any suggestions appreciated! Steps.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build outdoor steps?

Hi @kitfriendesq,

A couple of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are taking a well-earned break at the moment, so apologies that there might be a bit of a delay before one of the team can get back to you. 

In the meantime, let me tag some other experienced community members to see if they can share their thoughts with you about this project:

@Nailbag@DIYGnome@Dave-1.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @kitfriendesq 

I doubt you will find anything cheaper than that treated pine tread you linked to. Just be aware it's not going to be the best long term timber choice. So it's either concrete ones or I would go with something like a Merbau tread for durability and longevity, but they come at a cost. 

Nailbag

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kitfriendesq 

Thats's excellent advice coming from @Nailbag. In order to give your stair tread an extra layer of defence, I propose painting it with Cabot's 500ml Colorbond Woodland Grey Timbercolour Deck & Exterior Paint. It is a premium, self-priming, oil-enriched acrylic paint. It has been specifically formulated to provide exceptional durability to all exterior timber surfaces and decks. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

kitfriendesq
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Nailbag! I agree concrete is probably a good balance of durability and cost:

1) do you think the stringers would take the weight?

2) I’ll go have a look in store but I’m not entirely sure how they’d be secured… I’m loathed to try and neatly drill them and rely on no cracking…

kitfriendesq
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL - any views if concrete treads are an option?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kitfriendesq 

In regards to the meatal stringer being able to take the weight of a concrete step, please allow us to call our supplier and asking them if it is capable of handling the weight. As soon as we have more information, we'll get back to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

Hi @kitfriendesq 

If you go with concrete, then you would be easily safe to drill into them to fasten t hem to the stringers. Just allow around 100mm overhang so you're not drilling in to the edge, which will look better than stringers right on the edge. Plus there will be less load in the central area especially if you went timber treads. You will need a drill with a hammer function and 8mm masonry bit to fix concrete ones.

Once the stringers are fixed, rest each tread and mark the holes. Then spin them over to drill holes to suit say 8mm x 40mm Dynabolts. Put some painters tape around the drill bit to mark maximum depth so you don't drill all the way through.

Nailbag

@EricL will be able to confirm that info for you @kitfriendesq 

Nailbag

kitfriendesq
Building a Reputation

Great diagnosis - thanks @Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects