Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build drop front shoebox from restored merbau decking?

mrpatel
Growing in Experience

How to build drop front shoebox from restored merbau decking?

I am restoring some old decking to make in to a shoebox for our front porch. It is 1500mm W x 445mm H x 355mm D. It has a shelf inside as shown in the sketchup.

I am thinking of a drop front lid that will also be made from old merbau decking, but unsure how to make it open. I looked online about ideas and one option was using a lid stay hinges, with a catch on the top, but unsure if the lid stay hinges will fit due to the shelf and the box frame. 

Advice appreciated.

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 10.28.16 pm.png

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 10.28.47 pm.png

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 10.32.46 pm.png

mrpatel
Growing in Experience

Re: How to build drop front shoebox from restored merbau decking?

Hi Eric, 

Yes the other side is fine now. Had to get all the paint off and sand it down, see below pic where I have used meth to pull out the colour:

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 10.03.23 pm.png

I did the same sanding job on the glue side, using 40, 80 and 120 grit so cant do any more. Like you said, the glue has probably had a bleaching effect.

I do intend to use the glue side as the inside of the shoebox, but I still do want to stain it. Can you recommend a stain?

Thanks.

Ash.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mrpatel 

Thanks for posting that update, you're now in a better position to determine which side of the panel to use. In regards to the stain, it all depends on your preference. For example, a natural sealer such as Cabots 1L Aquadeck Natural Exterior Decking Oil has no added stain to it. Therefore, if applied to the Merbau panel will only result in the natural colour of timber to stand out. However, if you use Intergrain 1L Redwood UltraDeck Timber Decking Stain it will result in a much darker finish.

I recommend visiting your local store and proceeding to the deck sample or outdoor furniture sample finishes. You'll see sample boards with the finishes applied and you'll get a much better idea of their colour. Please keep in mind that if you are keeping this box outside of the house, make sure the paint you are using is rated for outdoor use.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your shoebox project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mrpatel
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric, 

Thanks for that info.

For my frame I was thinking of this pine:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/porta-42-x-30mm-2-4m-dar-pine-standard-better_p0021347

For my base I was thinking of this:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-2200-x-600-x-26mm-merbau-panel_p8330163

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 9.05.55 pm.png

Thoughts?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Those sound like good options, @mrpatel. Remember that the Pine is obviously going to be a different colour timber to the Merbau, but functionally it will be just fine. You might like to stain the Pine to bring it closer to the colour of Merbau.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mrpatel
Growing in Experience

Yes thst was my plan, to stain them. Thanks Eric. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects