Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an enclosure for the hot water tank?

magdaleneho17
Finding My Feet

How to build an enclosure for the hot water tank?

IMG_6191.jpeg

IMG_6190.jpeg

Hi there, 

I’d like to build an enclosure for my hot water tank outside my yard. What would be the best way? I have the measurements of 30 cm width, 63 cm length and 63 cm height. Could it be possible to get Bunnings to cut the wood to build a frame for it? (Picture of one of your renders) 

IMG_6532.jpeg

Thank you, 

Mag

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Enclosure for the hot water tank

Hello @magdaleneho17 (Mag)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about making an enclosure for your hot water tank.

I'm sorry but the enclosure you saw will not work for your hot water cylinder. You'll notice that in front of your hot water cylinder is a continuous gas hot water system. This device emits a very hot exhaust and must not be covered in any way. I suggest speaking to your plumber/gas fitter and asking them if there is a way to cover your hot water cylinder without covering the gas heater. They will be familiar with the rules and regulations regarding covering a gas hot water system.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build an enclosure for the hot water tank?

Hi @magdaleneho17,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

Does it need to be totally enclosed? Could you get away with just screening one side from view? Check out what @ProjectPete installed in his screen to hide a hot water system. Other option if your plumber considers it acceptable would be lattice in front of the unit so that the exhaust can still vent, more like the enclosure to screen hot water tank by @diy_hausdesigns.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to build an enclosure for the hot water tank?

Thank you for your recommendations. Will probably place a screen at the side or might take on the project to build the enclosure. It’s more for the safety of my toddler son accessing the area. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects